Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, I've received several scam e-mails when I had a complete high-end bike up for auction. I just delete and ignore them.

Recently, I had one of my LOOK frames up for auction and offered a buy it now price. Instead of just sending a nuisance e-mail, the scammers are registering on E-bay and buying items with the buy it now option. After you send the buyer an invoice requesting payment, you get a scam e-mail, like the one below:

"Since am presently in London,I have instructed my debtor to send you a payment which will cover the cost of your item.Okay ?

I will use my FEDEX account to pick the item from your address to London,UK.

My debtor owes me about $3000 and I want to instruct my DEBTOR to issue the payment in form of Money Order but I want you to deduct funds for the sales of your item and send the left over via Western Union to my store attendant in London,United Kingdom.Okay ?

Please let me know if I can trust you with the extra funds coming to you.

Kindly send me your name and address to send you the payment immediately.

Thank You and God bless you."

The problem with this scam is it ends your auction and you have to start over again. You may also be out the listing fee. I've asked E-bay to reimburse me the cost of relisting, in this case.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
C-40 said:
In the past, I've received several scam e-mails when I had a complete high-end bike up for auction. I just delete and ignore them.

Recently, I had one of my LOOK frames up for auction and offered a buy it now price. Instead of just sending a nuisance e-mail, the scammers are registering on E-bay and buying items with the buy it now option. After you send the buyer an invoice requesting payment, you get a scam e-mail, like the one below:

"Since am presently in London,I have instructed my debtor to send you a payment which will cover the cost of your item.Okay ?

I will use my FEDEX account to pick the item from your address to London,UK.

My debtor owes me about $3000 and I want to instruct my DEBTOR to issue the payment in form of Money Order but I want you to deduct funds for the sales of your item and send the left over via Western Union to my store attendant in London,United Kingdom.Okay ?

Please let me know if I can trust you with the extra funds coming to you.

Kindly send me your name and address to send you the payment immediately.

Thank You and God bless you."

The problem with this scam is it ends your auction and you have to start over again. You may also be out the listing fee. I've asked E-bay to reimburse me the cost of relisting, in this case.
That sucks man. Unbelievable.

What about the binding part of the contract for when you 'buy it now'? mmm mmm mmmm

A partial solution would be for Ebay to allow people to restrict the auction to something like 'pay pal only for buy it now'.

·
Banned
476 Posts
you can

bas said:
That sucks man. Unbelievable.

What about the binding part of the contract for when you 'buy it now'? mmm mmm mmmm

A partial solution would be for Ebay to allow people to restrict the auction to something like 'pay pal only for buy it now'.

Ebay allows you top restrict payment to paypal only by using 'immediate' payment option

also you can filter out or restrict non-usa bidders - which will cure a lot of scams

G

·
collectorvelo said:
Ebay allows you top restrict payment to paypal only by using 'immediate' payment option

also you can filter out or restrict non-usa bidders - which will cure a lot of scams
Yeah, gawd knows that anyone OUTSIDE the USA is a scam artist and anyone inside the USA is lily - white:rolleyes:

I am largely giving up on ebay due to excatly this kind of attitude, if I don't live in the US of A I must be a scam artist on the make - right?:rolleyes:

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,136 Posts
I think that collectorvelo is exaggerating a little. I don't live in the US and have bought and sold the occasional item through eBay from and to US members. It come down to being careful. You cannot exclude an entire market just because they don't live in your country of residence, that's just ridiculous.
As for C-40's scam, this really sucks - especially for honest eBay members. I've become more cautious and questionable about my own eBay transactions and wonder sometimes if it's worth it with all the pitfalls.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
ebay should reimburse you - file a non-paying bidder dispute and they eventually will. it stinks even so - you have to go through the trouble of relisting.

the macbook pro I'm typing this on was actually rescued from a guy who nearly shipped it off to Africa. I had placed a bid, and then turned down his second chance offer. his winning bidder was one of the shill bidders you describe. eventually, he did ship it off, but he read about the Nigeria scam just in time. by then, I figured what the heck, so I bought it from him.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
It's really not a new twist-you've just encountered a smarter-than-average scammer who has a reasonably good command of the language, and one who knows how to play the system a bit better. In the end, though, he'll use the same old tried and true worthless money transfer scam. Hey, it's probably working for him......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.