2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
That one video stated it can put out 250w for 30 min. I ride with a group of bikers, I don't know that I want some goof riding in the pack that clearly is not done the work and training to be there. There is a lot more to riding in a group than being able to put out some power.

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think it would be dependent on who is riding the e-bike. The responses so far assume it would only be someone that couldn't keep up otherwise. If that is the case, I completely agree. There is a certain amount of handling skills that come with the natural development of higher power numbers (for most). Obviously, there is the occasional freak that can produce huge wattage, but can't handle the bike, but they are the exception to the rule.

If the person riding the e-bike was an experienced cyclist that has previously ridden at the faster pace of certain group rides, they will likely have the handling skills, and knowledge, to be a good citizen in the peloton.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have no problems assisted ebikes. As for letting them join group rides, there are varying levels of group rides. So as long as they are riding in one for their experience level, I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I have no problems assisted ebikes. As for letting them join group rides, there are varying levels of group rides. So as long as they are riding in one for their experience level, I'm ok with it.
Everything is fine, till it is not! Some have no realization to how they ride, and that would be a big problem.

And furthermore... Give me one reasonable reason for a biker, who is trying to train, would ride in a group ride with one?

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
Everything is fine, till it is not! Some have no realization to how they ride, and that would be a big problem.

And furthermore... Give me one reasonable reason for a biker, who is trying to train, would ride in a group ride with one?
Not all group rides are about training or racing.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I will possibly get an e-bike when I get older. Other than that, my only experience was being passed by one on my morning commute a few months back. Passed is probably the wrong word; I was doing 18mph or so and might as well have been standing still. The hefty rider was out of sight quickly, slowing only to ascend a steep overpass.

Some of these things are more like electric mopeds than bicycles and should be treated as such.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like the idea of E-Bikes, but only for use on roads, and not anywhere near me while I'm on my bike.

Here in NYC, there are people that use E-Bikes on the Greenways, which are meant for pedestrians / bicycles only. And loads of delivery men us them in bike lanes, and sidewalks as well. I think they are too dangerous (fast and heavy means more destruction during an accident), to be mixed in with pedestrians, and slow moving, human powered bikers.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
The same reasons someone would ride in a group with a fully human powered bike. If you think there's not reason to ride with an ebike to train, that's fine. But I don't see how a non-ebike would be any different.

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
One obvious reason is not all group rides are about training.

Another reason is maybe the group ride is a drop ride and hilly terrain. Someone could be a very experienced and skilled rider but not the greatest climber. This would give them a boost on hills and not get dropped or hold up the group.

Another reason... my GF isn't able to maintain the pace I ride. But we like to ride together and she always feels guilty holding me up. This would alleviate that.

Do you want more reasons? I could think of a bunch.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
There's already strong riders ride like idiots in pelotons. You deal with an e-biker riding unsafely in a group the same way you deal with them.

But I doubt that we'll see many, or any, e-bikes in fast group rides. The people who do them do it for exercise. An e-bike defeats that purpose. Getting all worked up about the mere possibility smacks of elitism.

What e-bikes will do is get people who don't ride at all, or only ride a little, out on bikes. Not only will they be one less car while riding, they will experience what it's like to be a cyclist on modern roads. When when they're in a car or in the voting booth they'll be more friendly towards cyclists.

I forsee 99% win from e-bikes.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Do you want more reasons? I could think of a bunch.
So could I. Motor pacing being the most appealing to me. I'd do it just for fun though, so Duriel will need to take up the no training value issue with Cavendish and the other TDF riders that do lots of it for training.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Seeing "give me reason why" question was directed at I will give my reasons. My wife has one and it allows us to ride together. She did not enjoy riding with me because she felt like she was holding me back (sounds like what someone else said). She also forces me to ride harder up hills. We have a great time riding together. We can do 30-40 mile rides with no problems. She will do group rides this summer, once again not all group rides are about training or racing. Also I am taking about e assist bikes not throttle e bikes.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Right, well, they're not coming on my ride. They can go on yours, I don't have a problem with that. We'll see how it all works out, in the end.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Duriel, why are you afraid of them? If the rider has the skills and knowledge to ride with an A group why would there be a problem? What if one of your regular riders messed up their leg and could no longer ride your pace because of it. Would cast him off if he showed up with an e assist bike?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I'd feel weird riding one in a group setting.

don't care if others do it, but I wouldn't.

for me, it would be, for lack of a better word, unethical...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I must be old or closed-minded or both. But when ya put a motor on a bicycle... it's a motorcycle.

Our sport is predicated on using human power. We pedal to go. Whether the motor is electric, diesel-burning, gas-burning or a combination - it's a motor. That's a different category.... a different sport.

Some of my buddies can run further and faster than me. If I put on rollerblades to keep up, can I call them r-shoes... and call it running?

So no - I don't want to ride my bike with a someone on a motorcycle... plug in or conventional.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts