Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have my LBS update firmware for my Ultra 6870 Di2 system. My wife has a 6770 system, which they also upgraded every so often. Now I would like to do system checks, firmware updates, and customization on my own.

My understanding is that to do firmware upgrades on the 6770 system I need the SM-PCE-1 unit plus the etube software, but for firmware updates on the 6870 system I can use the software connected though my battery charger (SM-BCR2) into the external port on the junction box (SM-EW90 B). However, if I want to do any customization on either the 6770 or 6870 system, then I need the SM-PCE-1. I have already done some customization on the shifters and I am not sure I need to do any additional customization, but you never know.

It looks as if to keep the firmware up to date on both systems I need the SM-PCE-1. Anyone use this etube and the SM PCE-1 or just the tube software connected through the battery charger for 6870 or 9070 units?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't know 6770 Di2. It appears that the SM-PCE-1 is needed for those older Di2 systems. See this page on Carleton Bale's site.

For the newer 6870 Di2, the included SM-BCR2 charger is all you need.

I've used it to update my 6870 firmware, and set the long-press button to be "shift 3" instead of "shift all" cogs. With Shift-3, two long presses of the bottom buttons go: small ring and 3 cogs harder. Very nice for the base of a hill. Then at the top of the hill, two long presses of the top buttons: big ring and 3 easier cogs.

There's some shifting speed/response time settings, but I left that at the factory setting. I didn't see the need for faster rear shifts!

Updates for 6770
at the firmware download page, it seems that the last major release for 6770 systems was in 2014. There's one 2016 release, but it only mentions the SW-S705 shifter switch hardware (the extra mountable shifting buttons).

So your 6770 system probably won't need any more firmware updates. Anything new will be a specific fix or for hardware support, and probably won't apply to your wife's bike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ... very helpful. When I talked with the tech person at Shimano he indicated I needed the SM-PCE-1 for the 6870 to do anything more than firmware updates and that seemed at odds with what I have read elsewhere, so the question here. Thanks for the response, that helps and now I can update my system!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts