Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Also known as the E3 Prijs Vlaanderen, this 202km Belgian semi-classic provides a pre-view of the Tour of Flanders soon to follow.

Since 2004, Tom Boonen (Omega Pharma-Qick Step) and Fabian Cancellara (RadioShack Leopard Trek) have been dividing the wins amongst themselves (with the exceptions of 2008 and 2009).
But with Boonen's recent health issues and Fabu's lack of team support - one could easily imagine the lock these two have held on this race being broken this year.

I'm thinking that Peter Sagan (Cannondale) will come out fighting here after his heartbreaking 2nd place in Milano-Sanremo.
Other contenders include Fillipo Pozzato (Lampre-Merida), Sylvain Chavanel (Omega Pharma-Quick Step), Phillippe Gilbert (BMC), Thor Hushovd (BMC), Stijn Devolder (RadiShack Leopard Trek) and Lars Boom (Blanco). Looking at recent results, one could look at Matt Hayman (Sky) and Borut Bozic (Astana) as possible dark horses for an upset.

Startlist / Startlijist :

Startlist E3 Prijs Vlaanderen - Harelbeke, E3 Prijs Vlaanderen 2013 - CyclingFever - The International Cycling Social Network - Get the Cycling fever!

E3 Harelbeke 2013: Start List | Cyclingnews.com

Previews:

E3 Harelbeke 2013: Preview | Cyclingnews.com

All things being equal, I'm tipping the green monster, Peter Sagan, for the win this year.

Race Profile:

Race Map:

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Results

E3 Harelbeke 2013 has been won by:

Cancellaraaaaaaa!

On the Kwaremont, with 35km to go, Spartacus made his move and shifted into Time Trial mode a'la his last Paris-Roubaix victory. Sagan, Oss, Langevelde, Chavanel and Thomas attempted to chase, but there is nothing to be done when Spartacus goes early and turns it into a TT. The pursuiters came in more than a minute behind him! Sagan (Cannondale) and Oss (BMC) took second and third.
Vintage stuff from the Swiss Powerhouse. Could this be a fore-shadowing of the Tour of Flanders next week?

Cancellara is back. :thumbsup:

E3 Harelbeke Results | Cyclingnews.com

Cancellara Shows His Hand At E3 Harelbeke | Cyclingnews.com

Boonen Dangling While Cancellara Flies In E3 | Cyclingnews.com

Sky Misses Out On Podium At E3 Harelbeke | Cyclingnews.com

Monstrøs magtdemontration af Cancellara i klassiker - Cykling

Gilbert Not A Factor In E3 Harelbeke | Cyclingnews.com

Orica GreenEdge's Classics Fortunes Looking Up Second Time Around | Cyclingnews.com

Oss Saves BMC's Day In E3-Harlebeke | Cyclingnews.com

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
A beautiful race. But WHY did Geraint lead out Sagan? That made no sense to me. He, and the others, should have played him at his own game and sat on his wheel and let Sagan start the sprint.

·
Registered
611 Posts
A beautiful race. But WHY did Geraint lead out Sagan? That made no sense to me. He, and the others, should have played him at his own game and sat on his wheel and let Sagan start the sprint.
He perfectly new he couldn't beat Sagan and was just trying to get a 3rd place by catching Oss. Plus Sagan wouldn't have help other catching his friend. So all in all it was the thing to do for Geraint Thomas.

·
Registered
625 Posts
+1

I agree Mike. I was shaking my head at the time wondering what is he thinking? Then after the line he's celebrating with Sagan as if they were teammates. Strange stuff.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
It looked like they might have been able to reel him back when Sagan and Chavanel committed to the chase (took back 15-20 sec.) but they were so much stronger that they were breaking the other 4 guys and they weren't getting there with just the two.

It'll be interesting to see what this does to everyone else's race plan at Flanders. RS better be sure that someone is with Chava in the early move. That was Fabian's undoing two years ago.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wohooo!!!! Spartacus!!! Demolishing rider after rider... good to see him back in his winning ways. His timing and power was perfect this time around.
Yes, reminds one of his former glory days with Saxo. Spartacus tends to do better if he can make an early move and no- one catches his wheel. He can then TT it - not many people who can catch Fabu when he goes off the front that way!

·
Registered
265 Posts
the better question would've been

WHAT THE F WAS OSS DOING IN THE FINAL METERS? DIDN'T HE SEE WHAT HAPPENED IN THE OLYMPICS WITH VINO AND URAN?

He was 5-10 big pedal strokes for 2nd and he just really had to look back. The timing for his last attack was perfect. He was gone and no way Sagan/Thomas was catching up. He got pipped and it's his own mistake.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think he charged up on frites and mayo!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Spartacus race strategy
A) Attack on Kwaremont
B) Get a gap
C) If A and B work, go like hell

panache

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.