Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Step is looking like it could dominate the Ronde. Could Boonen double up again?
Where was Garmin? I would think they'd want to ride this one.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
I'd like to see Boonen double up, but he dropped the ball at MSR and got pipped today. Could be a season of near misses for him.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I'd like to see Boonen double up, but he dropped the ball at MSR and got pipped today. Could be a season of near misses for him.
I don't think that Boonen has taken his eye off the prize yet. Don't be surprised if Quickstep takes control of Flanders and/or Roubaix early on and just blows everyone else apart. They are the other super team in the pro peloton right now.
And with the Northern Classics going on, I'm a little surprised that so many members here are talking less about them and are discussing on who's gonna be the leader of Astana come July.

Back on topic, Saxo bank has two very key injuries in their ranks right now so I don't see them challenging Quick Step all that much. I do see Rabobank being somewhat of a factor. And I also see Cervelo Test Team affecting the outcome of some of these races. Just don't think that either of these teams are as strong as Quick Step when it really matters.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Stijn Devolder for the double!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like Stijn. I was bummed when he joined QS, because I thought he was a man for Flanders, and would be reduced to working for Boonen. It seemed to work out last year, though. I suspect we'll see more of the same, but I think Boonen really wants to win Flanders again, even more than P-R.

Does anyone here remember the way Devolder worked over Boonen at K-B-K a few years ago? (Hincapie went on to win.) That was amazing.

And is there anything cooler than soloing to a Flanders win in the jersey of the Belgian champion?

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
farm said:
I like Stijn. I was bummed when he joined QS, because I thought he was a man for Flanders, and would be reduced to working for Boonen. It seemed to work out last year, though. I suspect we'll see more of the same, but I think Boonen really wants to win Flanders again, even more than P-R.

Does anyone here remember the way Devolder worked over Boonen at K-B-K a few years ago? (Hincapie went on to win.) That was amazing.

And is there anything cooler than soloing to a Flanders win in the jersey of the Belgian champion?
Boonen did it in the WC jersey. That's pretty nice too :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Einstruzende said:
Boonen did it in the WC jersey. That's pretty nice too :D

True, but anyone can wear the rainbow jersey. The Belgian champ wears his Belgianness on his sleeve. The crowds lined along the Muur see their own Belgian nature reflected in and on him. And everyone else sees a guy basically wrapped in the Belgian flag win the Ronde. And the Belgians know this. It's a veritable orgy of Belgian self-recognition.

I think that's cooler. And I'm not even Belgian.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
farm said:

That is when I became a huge Devolder fan (and the source of our club's What Would Stijn Devolder Do? joke. The answer is He Would Attack! of course).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts