Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke my second spoke on the front wheel in 14 months. Any thoughts, concerns, or just bad luck? These are the gen 4 hub wheels but before the ceramic bearing upgrades, probaly the 2008 model year. I really do like these wheels, the rear hub is a little touchy and needs attention as far as regular adjustment, but now I am concerned about relaibility of future spokes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, you are lucky to have two in 14 months. Just last weekend I had the 2nd spoke it in 7 days break.

I loved these wheels for the first 1200 miles or so, but honestly, I have very little confidence in these wheels left.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
easton spoke

HALOOPA said:
i had 3 on my ea90 aero bust. just got the wheel back from easton after they rebuilt it. got my fingers crossed.
Are these Sapim spokes? What weight/mileage did you put on these wheels?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steel515

Sapim double-butted race spokes laced radially in the front. I weigh between 180 - 190 depending on the cycling season, ok 185.

4000 miles last year on them, off the road early due to an operation, this year I will do about 5500 miles on them less the miles on the front wheel during the repair.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wheel is now at Easton for repair. They said they will replace the spokes & make sure the wheel is properly tensioned.

Can't say enough about how easy it has been to work with Easton & what great customer service they have. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Attn:Tricor

Maybe they will meet, mine is there also. Yeah my customer service experieince has been very supportive....however same wheel with same problem 1 year later and 3 - 4 of those months the bike dosent get ridden here in the winters of the mid atlantic

·
Registered
393 Posts
HALOOPA said:
i had 3 on my ea90 aero bust. just got the wheel back from easton after they rebuilt it. got my fingers crossed.
I also had 3 break on my EA90 Aero wheels, got them repaired at a local dealer after each ride only to have them break on the very next ride. I sent them back to Easton and told them I wanted a new rear wheel or a refund.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had 1 spoke break on my front EA90SLX. Easton sent me a 5 pack of red nipples and I have a 5 pack of spokes ordered. They've been sold out of spokes for over a month now, not sure when they'll arrive. I'm hoping once the spoke is replaced they will be as good as new, mine are about 1.5 years old and have low miles on them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am having a nightmare experience with my EA90SLX wheels too! Bought them new last April. First of June ( I will skip the details of all the calls to Easton, and trips to shop to have them to try Eastons suggestions in figuring out problem) the drive side rear ceramic bearing disintegrated. This took over three weeks to get resolved. Then by August I was experiencing an intermitent clicking noise in the rear, and a bearing noise in the front if the preload was adjusted correctly. The noise would go away if you loosened the preload, but you would then have side to side play. I was just living with it. Then on a Labor day group ride I broke a rear spoke in the middle of no where. Ended up sending both wheels at my expense to Easton. After a month they sent me a new rear wheel and the front with the new preload adjuster and new bearings. Even though I was with out for a month, I was happy with the outcome. NOW, only several rides in I am getting a clicking noise from the rear wheel. I took the bike to the LBS thinking it was my bottom bracket. They called and said it is my rear wheel, prob the free hub! I did not even think about the wheel as it is a NEW wheel. I am tired of messing with them. In the intrest of full disclosure, My weight is in the 190 range. I called Easton and asked about the no weight limit, and they said it is not an issue. I am convinced it is. I am tired of messing with them. I have had more down time than I have had time on them. I emailed Easton three times last week and have not heard from them. I want them to swap me for the SL's or pro rate me out, and I will get something else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just want to post that Easton has responded to my email concern,(see the previous reply) and per my request they are sending me a new set of EA90SL's. Even though they are a little less expensive wheels I feel like they may be more durable for my weight. I want to say that I think this is a fair resolution to my situation, and I thank Easton for the good customer service!

·
Custom User Title
760 Posts
I've not had any break so far; but only have a few hundred miles on them. If they start breaking, I think I'll replace them with CX-Rays.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updtae from original poster

Will update everyone once my issue is resolved whcih should be any day now.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,731 Posts
I've had two break on my EA70s. Looks like Easton is going to rebuild them. LBS said they had a bad batch of spokes or something.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
c_kyle said:
I've not had any break so far; but only have a few hundred miles on them. If they start breaking, I think I'll replace them with CX-Rays.
CX Rays is what is on them right now... :mad2:

anyways, are you guys having problems with the EA90 SLX R4 or R4SL version?

I have the regular R4... and I haven't had any problems, but then again, I haven't put 1000's on miles on them yet. You guys are worrying me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
@Andy69
My wheels are the EA90SLX with the R4sl hubs. I have a friend who had the same set, which is why I bought mine. After I bought mine, he started having spoke issues. Easton replaced his front wheel, and then he started getting a noise (not pre load related) in the rear. The shop where he bought them from traded him very fairly into a set of Mavics. I also have a friend who uses the same EA70's like yours and has had no issues with them, though he only has about 1,200 miles on them. I am hoping going to the higher spoke count on the 90 SL' and going to the reg R4 hubs without ceramic bearings will prove to be more durable without sacrificing much performance.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Went through two Easton ea 70's and it was like clock work with both. Great wheelset until you get over 1000 miles on them, then the spokes start to pop. I no longer ride on Easton wheels.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
This is interesting. I have a pair of Easton XC Ones (1400 gram MTB wheels) with out nary an issue. And I've sold several pairs of the SLX R4's as well. Even my store manager has almost 8,000 miles on them. Only required a hub adjustment on the rear wheel in the past 2 years of riding them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update from the original poster

Easton received my front wheel with one broken spoke on 10-22-10. I got it back today 11-23-10. Thanks goodness I had a spare front wheel to use.

Remember this was the second trip back to Easton for this wheel. First broken spoke 9 months prior but wheel had only been used 5 months since new. These are EA 90SLX, production year 2008.

They replaced:

All the nipples, spokes, installed new bearings, trued the wheel, and attached rim band. Everything they did the first time around also.

They also sent me about a week ago the new preload adjuster for the rear wheel. They also installed the new preload adjuster on the front wheel they just sent back. The front I only needed to adjust once or twice, the back has started to need adjusting after every couple of rides. Will be curious to see how the new preload adjuster works. When I say new I am talking about the adjuster that will require a cone wrench instead of tightening with your thumb and forefinger.

I have read so many posts about these wheels since I have gotten them. In reading them you almost believe that for most of us that have had problems with these wheels we truly want them to work. I want to believe in these wheels and be able to depend on them. I do like how they perform on the road. So i shall see.

As far as Easton goes, I would like to think I am “not that guy” and I only called once to inquire about the wheel about 3 days after they received it. They got enough going on I figured. I even started the whole process by using the on line form Easton suggested on the website that was suppose to generate the RA number for repair and shipping. The website said wait 2-3 business days. I waited 5 and never heard anything on that response. On the 5th day I called and started my return process over the phone. The calls for this repair and the first repair also in Sept of 2009 were handled by women who provided excellent info descriptions of what was going to be done to my wheel.

The other thing I learned from this was figuring once Easton I got my wheel I would be without it at least a couple of weeks I refused to pay the 60-70 dollar charge for top of the line shipping. I paid $16.00 and coin and shipped it parcel on a Friday USPS east coast and it arrived at Easton west coast the following Friday.

So living here in ther midatlantic and not being much of an outdoor rider in the witner, it really could be spring for I even use this wheel. Couple of weekend rides here and there just isnt worth it to me until we start cranking it up late March.

Everything was covered under waarnaty so we shall see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts