Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all;
I just purchased a Easton EA90 wheelset with (I think?) Shimanno compatibility. I'm running SRAM Rival. When the wheels got here I went to move my cassette over and was stumped. The freehub seems to be shimanno splined, but 'steps up' a bit about ~1 cm in. The net effect is that the cassette will slide on that 1 cm and then stops. This is the red Easton freehub.
WTF? Did I end up with a campy wheelset (I thought those were splined completely different?)? Is this some shimmano-cassette-only freehub I've never heard of?

Thanks,
Sam
:mad2:

· Registered
77 Posts
Java, I'm pretty sure the red version of the Easton freehub is Shimano 10s only. The black version is 8/9/10 compatible. The splines are different on the Shimano 10 cassettes/bodies. They are taller so as to make aluminum freehub bodies a bit more durable and resistant to notching from cassettes.

· Registered
768 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I picked up my EA90 Aeros several months ago. I had specifically asked for the shimano 8/9/10 as I have a SRAM Force cassette. LBS also ordered the 8/9/10, but Easton sent the Shimano 10 (the red freehub with a little "step" 1/2" in). LBS ordered the correct freehub and swapped it out no problem.

Good luck
Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.