Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so last fall the family was doing the semi-annual yard sale and when I showed up my inlaws kept steering me over to Uncle Bob's old Lotus road bike. I glanced at it quickly and didn't really think much and said that if it was still there at the end of the day I'd take it...Fast forward to this evening when my Father inlaw asks, "When the hell are you taking that bike?!"

I put it in the back of the truck after looking a little closer and I actually feel a bit bad...this bike has barely been ridded and it really shows...Uncle Bob is anal retentive and really takes care of his gear...I even got a baggie with the owners manual and other Shimano Lit.

Wiped it down quickly once home (Snowing here in Maine) and took a good look. This little rig is damn cool...yeah all Japanese, but dang, some neat touches (like looking at the early Honda CB's...yeah it was a knock off but it has synergy).

And just for kicks....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...oh yeah...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Had a few minutes to run a clean cloth over the bike...need to degrease and relube the moving parts...but not too shabby!

RJ

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Pretty nice old bike

Brings back some memories. My Lotus was a little newer than this one with the sweet old gold head badge. It was a touring model that rode really nice. Love those old manuals. Keep them well preserved and sell them on E-Bay down the road. Are you going to ride the bike as is or go the fixie route? Either way would be cool.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I think if it had horizontal dropouts I'd go fixie pretty quickly, although the nice original condition of the bike are really wearing me down...keeping it vintage and riding it are looking likely. It rides Fantastic even now, without the tuneup LOL!

It's an '82...I was 7 in 1982!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well mocked up my extra set of 'Cross bars today...and bought a Singleator (until I can afford an ENO hub...) Yeah going Single/Fixed...we'll see how I like it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i think i own the same bike1 Is it a lotus unique? I have it in the same color and the crank, pedals, and gears are identical. shimano 600s?

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Not sure what is going on with the pics but all I get are the same picture of car lights on a freeway over and over again.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a 1973 Dura Ace crankset that has the same style chainguard....

fbagatelleblack said:
I like the crankset. I don't know if I've ever seen a non-swaged/one piece right crank assembly with a chainguard like that. One usually only sees those on the cheapy cranks.
It's attached to a hollow bb spindle to boot......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts