Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello - I would like to built up a period correct tubular wheelset for my 1983 Atala. I have a set of high flange Campy N/R 36h hubs but i'm having a hard time finding out which tubular rim(s) manufacturer and models would be correct. Was there an overwhelming consensus in the pro peloton during that period?

The bike http://forums.roadbikereview.com/retro-classic/winter-resto-204752.html

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
I can't tell you what was used in the peloton, but Mavic rims were fairly common back then. Fiamme Red and Yellow Label rims were hip, too. And very pretty. Of course, they were all box rims. Anything remotely aero will look wrong. If you can find any Clement Campionato del Mondo tires or Clement Paris-Roubaix tires you'll be comfortable as hell and picture perfect.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Agree with Mapei, go for Fiamme Reds, new label or old label would be period correct or Mavic GP4, old label which is red. Another choice would be Super Champion Arc n Ceil or Aspin. I've built with all of them and still have a stash of NOS including Mavic SSCs. Another Italian rim of that era is Nisi but many of their rims required use of washers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Currently my clincher wheelset is built with Ambrosio Elite rims...boxy, shinny and Italian.
The Fiamme's are beautiful but in my mind belong on 60's-70's bikes...also boxy, shinny and Itialian.
I am considering a pair of Super Champion Arc en ciel's with a gold anodized finish.
Is this a proper rim for a 1983 Atala with Record/SR?
View attachment 276827

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
They're gorgeous. Use them.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I am considering a pair of Super Champion Arc en ciel's with a gold anodized finish.
They will be stunning on the Atala and would look beautiful on my 81 Austro Daimler Olympian, which is currently sporting Mavic GEL280 front and GL330 rear on Campy hubs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They're gorgeous. Use them.
They will be stunning on the Atala and would look beautiful on my 81 Austro Daimler Olympian, which is currently sporting Mavic GEL280 front and GL330 rear on Campy hubs.
Well the rims are on route! Now to find some tires...
I'm looking at the Challenge line, formerly Clement and I think the Stada or Paris-Roubaix would be a great fit...per Mapei's suggestion.

Strada

Paris Roubaix

I really feel like I should put some high-end tubular tires on these wheels to experience the full benefit...mostly because I've never ridden tubulars!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I really feel like I should put some high-end tubular tires on these wheels to experience the full benefit...mostly because I've never ridden tubulars!
Can't claim to be an expert on high end tubulars. For 1st timers the main thing is to mount the tire without creating any bumps or humps in the roundness. {tip - you don't need 3 glue layers to bond the tire, unless you are racing maybe} Vittoria Rallye are among the least expensive and my experience over 4 tires was not good. A friend reccomended Continental Sprinters and am happy with them on 2 vintage wheelsets.

For me the 2 most outstanding benefits of tubulars are: a. the rounder profile and how that improves cornering; b. the lighter rim&tire seem to spin up faster.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Those Super Champion Arc-en-ciels would be perfect for your bike especially if you have any other gold colored graphics or details on it. I think Mavid GEL280's and 330GLs came in a little later in the middle 80's, and their dark anodize finish might not match up to the Atala as well as clear (silver) or gold anodized rims would.
As noted already, Fiamme Ergal rims would work well too as they were around in the 70's and into the early 80's. very light weight but quite expensive if you want NOS or ver good condition ones......if you can find them....
JMOs

Chombi

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
Wow. A Stronglight crank. Is it strong? Is it light? Are you responsible for the drillium? All told, an outstanding bicycle. A candidate for a Concours d'Elegance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wow. A Stronglight crank. Is it strong? Is it light? Are you responsible for the drillium? All told, an outstanding bicycle. A candidate for a Concours d'Elegance.
Yes, yes, and no. 93 with 105bis rings. A common "upgrade" in the day. Since the photo, the 93 was swapped out for a NOS 105bis and a MAFAC gold brakeset. Pics soon. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
LejeuneCdM- Please let us know how the Strada's treat you.
First ride a couple of days ago. Short...15 miles. The Stradas feel good and fast, but felt sluggish in turns. The latter did not inspire confidence which is unusual for me on a bike that I have ridden off and on for 40+ years. May be an inflation issue as I was running low pressure on the tires. Smooth ride, good acceleration. Hope to get out today for further "testing" using higher tire pressure.

Lejeune Pro Mar 13 01 by CV6Enterprises, on Flickr

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.