Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rossin bike from 1990 with Campag on it. The rims are Wolber Tx profil 700c. The rear rim has a ding in it. I would like to replace the rim, but am finding it hard to find Wolber rims (they all seem to be tublar on ebay). What rims would go with a bike of this era and that are easy to find?

Also what does NOS stand for?

Thanks

· Registered
674 Posts
rustybucket said:
I have a Rossin bike from 1990 with Campag on it. The rims are Wolber Tx profil 700c. The rear rim has a ding in it. I would like to replace the rim, but am finding it hard to find Wolber rims (they all seem to be tublar on ebay). What rims would go with a bike of this era and that are easy to find?

Thanks
Maybe some Arayas, Mavic MA-40 or something like that.

NOS=New Old Stock.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
rustybucket said:

Thanks
If you can't find a rim, check eBay for a nice used front wheel with a Wolber rim...Disassemble the wheel for the rim.... As strange as it sounds, a front wheel might be cheaper than a NOS rim..

· Registered
58 Posts
I am struggling with the same sort of issue. I am of the mind to stick to NOS or new from VO or some other standard rim. I cannot believe the cost of rims. Way out of line. Must have 300% mark up.

· Registered
471 Posts
Keep looking for the TX profil ,surely you can eventually find one . I just built up a screw on DA hubset with Wolber profil 20s(Tubs) for my steel Merckx . Did Campy have any dark clincher rims available then ?

· Off the back
1,820 Posts
It took me years to find these

RC28 said:
Open 4 CD rims would be more period correct, though...
I bought a pair of NOS Open 4CD's for $170 shipped. Need them for a period-correct build of my own. These are my favorite rims of all-time. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140398048829 . Ironically, I sold a pair of used Mavic Reflex circa '94 for about $200. Probably equally rare since they were anodized blue, but not as strong and not new.

Only buy them in new condition if you absolutely need to. Otherwise, just do what another poster said and find a laced front wheel. (You see that a lot on eBay, because the rear always seems to get munched first.)

· Registered
2,485 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are a few tubular Wolbers around, would rather match the front and get a clincher though. Those campy omega rims look nice.
I have had the bike since new and its in great condition, rode it about 1 year ago after it had been sitting in the garage for 10 years. I hit a metal plate in the road at 65kmh. 2 flats and a dint in the rear rim, it makes me mad when I walk past the bike and see the dint. I wish I had not ridden it that day.

Thanks for all the info

· naranjito
785 Posts
frpax said:
Mavic Open Pro CD's would be more like the Wolber TX Profil. They have a semi aero profile. MA 40's are more a box shaped rim. Both are EXCELLENT rims and are period correct.
I thought the open pro was more like half way between an 'aero' rim like the tx profil and a box rim like the MA40? I think the CXP23 was mavic's version of the tx profil, and might even have been the exact same rim after mavic bought wolber.

I have a set of 7s 105 hubs 36h on tx profil rims.... great wheels, a bit heavy by today's standards, but very nice all the same.

· Registered
2,485 Posts
rustybucket said:
There are a few tubular Wolbers around, would rather match the front and get a clincher though. Those campy omega rims look nice.
I have had the bike since new and its in great condition, rode it about 1 year ago after it had been sitting in the garage for 10 years. I hit a metal plate in the road at 65kmh. 2 flats and a dint in the rear rim, it makes me mad when I walk past the bike and see the dint. I wish I had not ridden it that day.

Thanks for all the info
Like many have said. Ebay is the besty bet to find anything old. It's surprising how much old unused bike stuff is out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.