Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I'd go with...

lucky13 said:
I am planning getting up a 5:15 am and be riding by 5:30 am. What would you recommend eating if anything that early in the morning right before the ride.

I plan on riding for 2-3 hours.
I'd go with my regular. Some sort of cereal, and a banana or other fruit. Works for riding in the morning at 10, should work for 5.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Bananas, fig newtons, energy bars, etc....

Basically put 100-300 calories in your system to start the ride off and eat from there depending on how you feel. Chances are you have enough stored in your system for the first 1.5 hours, after that you likely will get hungry or your performance will suffer which is where the extra few calories comes into play.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Derf said:
Form what you said, I should have enough in the tank for a 1 hour ride without eating? I would train more in the morning. But, I felt that I would be under fed.

Thoughts??
Due to my work schedule I work 10:00am to 6:30pm on Monday and Tuesday....which means I have to workout in the mornings.

For my workouts I do 1.5 hour sessions on my trainer...one day is hard intervals, the other a recovery/tempo ride.

All I have before the ride is a banana or a cliff shot both of which equal about 100 calories. I have no problems not only completing my workouts, but going strong all the way through them.

Your body generally stores enough carbs for 90 minutes of workout...regardless of the time of day. You don't need much to eat in the morning before a workout, just enough to satisfy any hunger you might have until the workout is over. Then eat a normal breakfast.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have 2 pieces of toast (wheat or raisin) for early morning rides less than an hour, add a yogurt for ride up to 2 hours, add fueling on the bike if longer. I'm not trying to lose weight, so I eat immediately when I get home. Unless I do a strength workout when I get back. I like having a basement with weight machine - very convenient!

·
Registered
188 Posts
What works for me whatever im craving in the morning. It all depends on how well fed the body is from the night before. If I get out of bed hungry, I eat a little of whatever im craving, whether it be some oatmeal, fruit, bread, peanut butter, an egg on toast, usual breakfast type stuff in a small portion.

I know if I start a ride without eating and im hungry I will not be comfortable and get that bonkish feeling 10 mins after leaving home.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Derf said:
Form what you said, I should have enough in the tank for a 1 hour ride without eating? I would train more in the morning. But, I felt that I would be under fed.

Thoughts??
Read this document:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

When you wake up, you have enough muscle glycogen for at least an hour, even though you feel hungry. Eating breakfast before the morning workout can have a negative influence on performance.

If you're going for much more than an hour, bring calories with you.

·
Local Bigfoot Expert
441 Posts
Derf said:
I have a similar situation. I find that I have enough in the tank for a one hour ride each morning. If I want to go longer, I need to take in more. However, if I take in more, I find that my stomach hurts 9 times out of 10. For this reason, I have limited myself to about an hour a morning 5 days a week. I run the other mornings.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I mostly train in the mornings prior to work too. Usually 1.5 hours of interval work, that can be super intense at times. I usually have a small breakfast. 3 mini-pancakes with syrup, OJ, some coffee.. probably about 400-500 calories. I'll throw in some breakfast sausage and a banana if I'm going longer, but will not do this on high intensity days. I'll take a couple gel packs on the bike to kill the hunger if need be.

Everyone is different. I'd suggest experimenting a little, you'll find what works for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.