Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Cycling has arisen within the last year and a bit for me as my passion. i love every ride, love watching the pros. I love a lot about this sport.

As you know, once you start getting into the sport, your time spent riding escalates, your speeds, your distances and your fitness does.

In recent months, it has gone from a difficult 50kms on the weekend, To an easy 100km during the whole week and right now, sitting at about 177km according to strava for the last four weeks.

it has to keep on going...

Right now, my issue is as follows. Over protective parents.

I dont blame them, the thought of your only son aero-tucking down a mountain at 80km/h isn't the sweetest of thoughts. They are scared, every ride, i get the feeling they wait in bed hoping i will be alright, i feel sorry for them. But what can i do? it isn't like i can just stop?

here is the situation, i ride on tuesday mornings starting at 5:50am with a friend, since i am with a friend, my parents are cool with this. Then, here is the embarassing part:

if i want to do other rides starting early i.e between 5 30 and 6 30 am. i have to get driven to the start by my parents. Like who does that? i feel so embarrased that this sport isnt individual for me. If i want to ride in the week and on the weekend, i have to ruin my parents day, wake them up at 5 30, make them cofee and admit to my other cycling friends i am not allowed to ride in the dark.

My ideal is this, ride every day except monday and most fridays. I could you know? the club has heaps of rides in its weekly schedule, the only part i would be alone is the 6km ride to the meeting point. I basically have to leave at 5:50am to get there for the start. My parents are so worried about this little dark patch, once i am with the group they are a little less worried. Like, i have tried asking them what their concerns are but i seem to gather its a combination of the darkness, the drivers in sydney at this time, and my age. (14) I have powerful front and rear lights and i feel visible at this time. i am on main roads the whole way and I myself, feel extremely confident doing this myself. I want my cycling habits to be individual, not have to beg parents to lift me there every morning.

If you are still reading, thanks.

But anyway, my main question is, how can i convince my parents to let me ride myself to the club rides without them driving me? I could be riding 5 times a week, but now i am only riding 2, why? because my parents are worried...

Thanks guys

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Well as a middle aged guy with two daughters and a wide who worry about me due to past crashes I feel for you.

Not sure where you are but it is light enough here by 5.

Maybe explain the feeling and see if they will let you try it once. When you get to the meeting point text them. Tell them you are fine and with the group. When the group ride is done text them and tell them that you aee heading home.

After awhile I bet they get used to it.

Oh and be careful on those steep descents with turns. I am still banned from riding on Mother's Day. And I am 40. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's a tough one. A parent's concern is generally well founded and if you're 14, there's not much you can do but educate them.

Perhaps you can lay some statistics on them? Like how many cars are passing this 6 km stretch at that time in the morning (and how quickly you make it to the meetup point)? Or the lack of bike accidents on that stretch (if that's the case).

Best of all, maybe you can use this as an opportunity to get a Garmin 510 or 810? The live track feature would allow them to check in on your progress, see that you're safe, and see that you're moving.

You seem to be a responsible 14 year old, so some in-depth conversation might help a lot.

Good Luck and roll safe!

·
Registered
480 Posts
My mother took me to early morning bball practice when I couldnt walk (usually happened as it was winter) and she would take me and leave. Its part of their duty IMHO.

Ask your parents to get you some good lights and wear a reflective material on your person.

·
Registered
960 Posts
be glad you have parents who care enough to worry about you. the alternative is far worse than being embarrassed because they drive you to the start of the ride.

cut them some slack. by driving you they are meeting you half way

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well, I agree with Herbie.

However, in the US, we have the League of American Bicyclists, and that group offers traffic 101 and 102 skills, both written and road practice. Find out if you have something similar, and tell your parents you want to sign up and pass the courses. This could help ally their fears, and give you a lot more skill with riding in traffic.

It would show you are responsible, anyway. The fact that you feel confident, given your age and relative inexperience, are both red flags to your parents. Of course you are confident, you are a teenage guy. But that is a high-risk group for accidents. So...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Don't you have school? At 14, you just really need to be well rounded in your activities, school is your priority (remember the average age for boys leaving home in Australia is about 27) because that is what is going to allow you freedom in your real life. Ride after school.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I first started racing when I was 13 and had a 6am meet with our team. My parents were similarly worried so I mentioned it to some guys on the team one day and their solution was each morning they'd take turns meeting me about 2km from my house to ride with me to the start. As I got older I became one of those who'd occasionally do the same for a younger riders. Know this - NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THOSE FOLKS looks down on you in any way for your parents caring about you like this. They're going to judge you based 100% on YOU, not on your parents and most of them will look up to your parents for being good parents.

How about this. Suggest that your dad or mum get a bike (if they don't already have one) and ride with you to the start.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
However, in the US, we have the League of American Bicyclists, and that group offers traffic 101 and 102 skills, both written and road practice. Find out if you have something similar, and tell your parents you want to sign up and pass the courses. This could help ally their fears, and give you a lot more skill with riding in traffic.
Excellent advice! Lessons learned now will make you a safer rider for the rest of your life.

I hope that you're not so obsessed with cycling that you're missing out on other parts of your life. Are you on the soccer (football?) or track teams at school?

aureliajuliasheila: I tried to rep you but the button is gone???

Reactions: aureliajulia

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all these replies, i feel i have a lot of options now.

I already have a garmin 510, love it. Didn't think of using the live track feature and i will discuss with my parents tonight.

Sydney, as of right now is light at about 6:40. it gets better as summer moves closer so thats good for me.

To rebut the guy about raising school as a priority, I was Dux of my year in 2012 and 2011, i don't think coming late to school by 20 minutes a couple times a week is gonna hurt school as the "priority"

The 101 and 102 road skills look great and i will look into the possibility of similair things in sydney.

Keep them coming, this is actually helping alot

·
Registered
940 Posts
Which school LOL? And I am a mummy, not a bloke, so I would not want my teenage boy never leaving home because he decided bike riding was more important than school (but if you are a lucky only child you are probably OK LOL). Here if you turn up late to school like that on a really regular basis eyebrows would totally be raised. ARe you obsessive compulsive by nature? Is this your first real obsession? Do any of the good Sydney schools have cycling teams? But what happens after school to preclude your riding then? How do you get to school? Can you ride to and from school?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.