Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was a great day, my wife and I out doing what we love

In the valley, it is a nice ride up along the river

Early on, we found this guy on the roadside, some little tyke must have dropped it or it fell out of a car, anyway - it became our mascot for the ride. Our blue bird of happiness..

As we climbed the views improved

Halfway up the climb

Still ice forming up in the overnights

More snow the higher you go..

Top of the first pass

What goes up

One more climb - This road was closed a mile behind us - Not to open till May 1st

One the way back up to more snow

Mountain Streams - These will be dry inside a month..

On the north side descent the path through the snow was much worse and only a narrow channel where the water was running down the road (no pictures of that, both hands on the bars at that point)

And the view out the valley towards the 'Rock Pile'

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Same neck of the woods, just a big forest

Northern New England -

I am from Maine. The White Mountains of NH are but an hours drive.

And if you are reading this Singlecross, The spring trip is on again this year, so if you are around and want to ride again.. May 28-31 - Cross Bikes, Road bikes, Kayaks, and the climbing rack will all be in the car - That invite to ride is to any other RBR reader so inclined - MB1?

The first section was the Kancamagus Highway from Conway towards Lincon, then roll back down and over Bear Notch towards Bartlet. The last shot is of Mt. Washington with Bartlet Village below

It is a classic ride that I first did 28 years ago.

There are two sections of roads that are closed in winter.

The pasaconaway road which feeds you out to the 'Kanc' is closed for a couple of miles, and then all of bear notch is closed (locked, gated etc) They are not maintained in winter and generally do not open up till May 1. It is so TOTALY sweet to not worry about cars. The road however is covered with twigs etc.. you have to mind the descent.

The hit is to get out on the first warm days prior to them opening, the valley is dry and brown and the notches are covered in snow.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The second I saw your second photo I thought of the Kanc, and felt a twinge of homesickness. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Scott

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Great looking ride. Too bad about all that traffic, though. = )

·
Dropout
328 Posts
Wow, I enjoyed that. I really like the shot(s) of the road snaking through the bare trees.

I rode the Kancamagus in August 1978 on a 1-week New England I took with a buddy. Thanks for posting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts