Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across some pics of one of the earth domes a friend of mine built: this one is in Ojai, Ca. The pictures do not do it justice. They have electrical outlets and lights from solar power, a fireplace at one of the lower points, the exhaust runs underneath the dome and up some of the tiers so you get heating from below, multi levels, sun roofs,etc. He tries to use all natural or recycled but there are some things he can't (<<10%) On this particular dome I was there the day he started it(I held the stick with the string while he traced the circle of where to dig for the main dome part). He is an artist and these things are quite tough. He has done at least 3 others and is working on a couple in the high dessert of so cal. I'm considering living in one.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
That is really cool. Would someone have a permanent residence there? If so, what about mail, an address, etc.? How big are these earth domes? Big enough for how many people?
Cheers, Wayne

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to say the string was 7 or 8 feet in length (I'm thinking 7)for the center circular region so about 15 feet diameter. I remember the circle that he traced didn't seem that big, but by the time the project was complete it seems much bigger. I remember trying to convince him to make the string a foot longer and he was like no way. There are about 3 offshoots from the main dome. Also the main dome has a staircase that goes up to a bed (futon mattress) that would sleep definately one and I'm thinking 2. It could sleep 8-10 comfortably (relatively speaking of course, no serta mattresses). 2 up top, 2 in each of the 3 nooks and 2 in the main dome (could even do more). He is the total vegetarian hippie type and wants his domes to blend into the earth when their time is up. Unlike all the nasty chemicals used to make houses today which will just be ripped down in 50 years and fill up a landfill. With the earth that he digs from the initial hole (he only digs down 3 feet I believe) he sifts it and the coarser rocks go around the perimeter for drainage, etc. His main building block is burlap bags (like sand bags) that he fills with earth and about 10% concrete (maybe 15, I can't remember). He's also experimented with adding newspaper to the mix etc. These bags then get stacked up and in until they meet. Seems chincy but if you saw it you'd see that its solid. The floor is just earth. You put ashes on it and I think neem oil (or some other natural oil, can't remember) and walk barefoot, sweep, and repeat process a few times. Eventually it gets to the point where you are no longer sweeping dirt away. There is no bathroom in the dome, in this case there were flush toilet nearby but he does build dome outhouse structures too. I've also seen a dome where he has a storage dome right next to it. As far as this dome its on kind of a hippie/vegetarian commune type of place (Ojai's like that in some places) with about 35-40 people living. There is a main house with an address. The ones he's building in the high dessert have an address and mailbox. As far as "to code" and "legit" he can do that but it costs more money. He claims they are more earthquake proof than a regular home (smaller and they "go with the flow"). I trust him. He's a very smart individual. Also you can see the fireplace in the pic of him and his friends.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
I have always thougth these alternative homes were really cool to the standard home.

But the bottom line is you always give up amenitites and comfort when you live in a home like the one above.

Just imagine you have the flu and are having diarrehea. That little portapotty thing isn't exactly fitting the bill or if you had an outhouse you would have a brown stream running down your leg by the time you got there.

I thought about living on a boat full time in my early 20s but after considering all the factors opted against the idea. I also thought it would be cool to live in a yurt or a teepee during the warm months, until the mosquitoes at your butt up in the middle of the night.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,208 Posts
bigrider said:
But the bottom line is you always give up amenitites and comfort when you live in a home like the one above.

A raised floor and a little planning can give you plenty of amenities. All you need is 4" of space under removable pannels. Good design and siting can give plenty of windows.

Personally, I never liked the Flintstone's house, so these never did it for me.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
bigrider said:
Just imagine you have the flu and are having diarrehea. That little portapotty thing isn't exactly fitting the bill or if you had an outhouse you would have a brown stream running down your leg by the time you got there.
Stop making me laugh.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,403 Posts
I've always wanted to live in a pile of dirt. My wife could never say," Get those dirty feet off my kitchen table".
The most important question is if the dirt will protect me from the mind control rays from the planet Mongol.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
dr hoo said:
A raised floor and a little planning can give you plenty of amenities. All you need is 4" of space under removable pannels. Good design and siting can give plenty of windows.

Personally, I never liked the Flintstone's house, so these never did it for me.
I really like some of the Earthships I've seen pix of...

http://www.earthshipbiotecture.com/newsalepage.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts