Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is easier to overhaul and maintain? Which is more durable?

I just overhauled a set of low end early 80s shimano hubs and found the cup/cone system very easy to work with, even for a noob like myself. Would I have had the same confidence if I opened a set of hubs with cartridge bearings? Just looking for everyone's thoughts/opinions...

·
Registered
96 Posts
cup and cone are easier to overhaul,just crack open the hub

and clean and renew the grease and you're done.. with newer "sealed" bearing hubs, you have to figure out how to get the bearing covers off ( usually with an allen wrench) then if your bearings are shot you have to go hunt down the sealed bearings which can be hard to locate but the sealed bearings do last longer without servicing unless you get water, sand, dirt into the bearings

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
crumjack said:
Which is easier to overhaul and maintain? Which is more durable?
Cup and cone is probably better on both counts... and that is why Campy and Shimano still do it that way. The bearings are bigger, and they also have less rolling resistance based on test data I've seen.

Cartridge bearings are fine though. I used to just pop off the plastic seals (pry up the outer edge with a razor knife) and clean and grease them, then pop the seal back on. You can also replace the complete cartridge pretty cheaply when they wear out... an option you don't have with cup/cone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.