Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I want to have a setup to ride inside so I'm thinking of buying a CycleOps Fluid or Tacx Sartori trainer. I've got Fulcrum Racing Speed tubulars on the bike now with some nice tires. I don't want to have excessive wear on the rear tire from the times I ride indoors.

Here are the options I've considered:
1) As I only have the Racing Speed for wheels/tires now, buy another set of wheels for indoors/bad weather/etc so I'm not using the Racing Speeds everyday. This is the most expensive option and would need sign-off from the CFO/wife ;-)

2) Stay with the existing wheels and just get some training tires. Less money but more complicated as I would need to change the tires when I wanted them swapped out. Maybe not such a big deal if I don't switch that often.

Which of these would you more experienced riders recommend...or maybe something totally different?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the 'newbie' question, but bike maintenance in not yet my forte:

What must I get at a minimum for such a setup...I know when you look to purchase wheels it always asks 'Campy' or 'Shimano', so I assume that's the cassette you speak of? The wheels, then, will fit one of these cassettes, but the cassettes must be purchased along with the wheel?

Anything else to consider/purchase besides the wheel/tire/cassette?

Thanks.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
You just need a rear wheel, tire/tube, and cassette. You can use the casstte off of your race wheels if you have the ability to change it. A cassette removal tool and chainwhip is WAY cheaper than a new cassette but it depends on if you want to hassle with it. You don't have to buy a top of the line cassette fro your training wheels though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Add the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine to your list of potential trainers. It is highly rated and I love mine.

The trainer will not put much wear on your wheel, but they are tough on tires. I have found that a worn out road tire is great for the trainer. If you don't have a worn out tire, then just get any old cheap tire. It does not have to be a "trainer" tire.

If you want a trainer specific rear wheel and tire, the will also need another cassette. You will need to match your wheel and cassette to your derailluer setup. If your bike is a Shimano 10 speed, you will need a wheel with a Shimano freehub and a Shimano (compatable) 10 speed cassette.

Also, use the cheap steel quick release skewer in the trainer. The trainer will mess up the finish on a nice skewer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
1. I woudn't reccomend riding your Fulcrums on the trainer at all. For the price of tubular tires and the rate of ware on a trainer, you'll be tossing $100+ tires like crazy

2. Changing a tubular just to ride on the trainer is IMO not an option.

3. If you are sporting fulcrum racing speeds, I feel like you should have already bought a set of training wheels. I wouldn't want to be putting that much abuse on a $2000 wheelset.

4. Get an idea of what you are riding before you break something. It seems like you don't know a whole lot about bike yet, which is fine, we all got into this at some point and these forums are a good place to start. Its good to see you ask questions to gain knowledge. But making sure you understand your equipment and how to care for it before buying it will help make it last in the long run. Take your bike to the LBS and have them explain the ins and outs to you. Things like proper care of full carbon wheels and high end frames. Issues of component compatibility (the cassette issue you brought up). This will help you make educated decisions about your purchases and how to take good care of your investment.

For instance, if you do buy a set of training wheels, you will want to purchase an additional set of brake pads for the aluminum rims. This serves two purposes. It gives you better stopping power on the aluminum surface, and it keeps your carbon specific pads as far away from the aluminum wheels as possible prevent aluminum flakes from imbedding in the pads and scoring the carbon surface of the fulcrums when you put them on.

Buy some 2kg wheelset from nashbar or performance (and some additional brake pads) (the mavic akisum or easton ea50's come to mind) for a couple hundred bucks and use them when you are on the trainer or out for training rides.

BTW, who convinced you to buy such expensive wheels with out knowing more about them or how to care for them (I.e. having training wheels)

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Rollers

T-Fen said:
...I don't want to have excessive wear on the rear tire from the times I ride indoors...
Get some rollers. Then you do not need to worry about excessive tire wear or messing up your pretty skewers. I prefer the 3 inch drums.

Are you really riding tubulars or clinchers? Tubualars seem strange for no more mechanical experience than you have.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Yes to rollers

Keeping up with Junior said:
Get some rollers. Then you do not need to worry about excessive tire wear or messing up your pretty skewers. I prefer the 3 inch drums.

Are you really riding tubulars or clinchers? Tubualars seem strange for no more mechanical experience than you have.
It sounds as though the OP is fairly inexperienced, and rollers would be an excellent way to build skills AND avoid damage to his expensive tires.

·
Registered
46 Posts
99trek5200 said:
Add the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine to your list of potential trainers. It is highly rated and I love mine.

+1 on the Kurt. I splurged and bought one of their Rock and Roll trainers, with the 18 lbs flywheel. I had to ride inside for two months after a recent neck surgery. Best money I ever spent. It rides so much better and smoother than my Cyclops Fluid 2, I can't even describe how well it rides.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.