Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my Roubaix which has Shimano rs10 to a better wheels set.
I have about 500.00 to spend and since all of these are in my price range but I wanted some advice on which ones I should invest my money.

I am 170 and ride about 150-200 miles a week on Norcal roads.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Imho, the best of the bunch by far would be the Eastons.
I'm thinking you're getting them from Performance for that price?, so it's a no brainer. Take 'em back if you don't like them. Something goes wrong, they'll take care of that too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, that's a great price! Is that price from a LBS or private seller? I'm about to upgrade my wheels too. I have 1900g Bontager Race atm.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on ea90 SLs for $450 but still trying to find a pair of SLXs in the ~$600 or less range.

·
Banned
69 Posts
TerranATG said:
Wow, that's a great price! Is that price from a LBS or private seller? I'm about to upgrade my wheels too. I have 1900g Bontager Race atm.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on ea90 SLs for $450 but still trying to find a pair of SLXs in the ~$600 or less range.

where are you getting the ea90 sl's for 450?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was getting the ea90 sl's from a bike shop that is closing down but I waited too long and they sold the pair that they had so I guess it is now down to the other 2 or spend about 700 and get them either on ebay or when mikes has a sale on them. :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Eastons by far in my opinion. I have a 2008 pair of EA90 SLX and they have been tremendous - still as true as new after 3-4,000m of generally poor road surfaces. Mine are the last generation before the ceramic bearings and they still roll really well even with standard bearings. That's a great price too - I would buy them quick :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that the Eastons are out of the picture(I only wanted the new ones as the reviews on the R4 hubs are bad) I have the option to get the Mavic's for 460 out the door or the rs80's for 415 shipped which wheels do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Easton R4 hubs have been faultless - I think you might be worrying a bit much. I don't know where you've seen such terrible reviews - I've not seen any. Sure I've seen a few people write about problems - but I have seen similar on virtually any wheel - none of them are 100% perfect.

Good luck with your choice though.

GdL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts