Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for quite some time now."

--- Bill Murray in Caddy Shack

So on Friday I rode my mild mannered commuter to work in the pouring rain. I just put this bike together, and I left enough room to fit some wheels with Conti Country Ride tires. They are pretty fat, and really change the bike completely. The Pineapple Express is still going full blast, so I put on the Country Rides and headed out to the East Lake Sammamish Trail.

This trail was a railroad bed that just opened as a multi-use path after a decade or so of legal battles. It's not paved yet; that should take another decade or so of additional legal battles.

Lake Sammamish is the next lake East of Lake Washington -- just East of Seattle. From my house, I pop over I-90 on a little pedestrian bridge and then ride parallel to I-90 for a few miles to Issaquah.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Redmond, there is a velodrome. I was going to go all Nelson Vails and do the whole "Chain Strain" thing, but it seemed a bit wet, and that bottom bracket was a bit low, so I took a Mulligan.

There was a 2 year old munchkin riding around in the rain in the parking lot at the velodrome. That was cool. Oh, and the model plane guys were out in the rain too.

Oh, there really is a lake. Most of the docks don't float, so they are all under water right now.

Gotta love the "Country Ride" tires.

Back home after a half hour of night riding with the Night Rider.

That's all folks.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I can hardly wait to move next year. I really bruised my ribs once on that railing at Marymoor, got swept up in a crash during a points race. Your headlight setup looks just like mine except that I use the bottle battery. Since the rainy season started here I have been commuting on Michelin Cross Jet 30mm tires that just barely fit under the fenders. It is a much more secure ride across the muddy sections of MUT. Nice ride as well compared to armadillos, but then again wrapping my rims in electrical tape would be a better ride.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bill,
That will be cool when you move out here. Let us know when you are coming to check out the place. I've never raced at Marymoor, but I did at Trexlertown a hundred years ago. ;-)

"Just get behind me, Kid"
-- Nelson

·
Dropout
328 Posts
Well done, both photography and ride--and, well, the bike too. I like your fenders, bar tape, bag, saddle, they all look right together.

So what are the Country Ride tires? That is the best the tire name I've ever heard. Conti's apparently. How wide are they, what do they weigh, and how do they ride?

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MDGColorado said:
So what are the Country Ride tires? That is the best the tire name I've ever heard. Conti's apparently. How wide are they, what do they weigh, and how do they ride?
Hey thanks for the kind words. The Country Ride tires are 700 x 37. They are pretty thick and heavy, so they feel slow on pavement even though they have a smooth-ish center, but once you are off-road, they feel great. I got them for free with a used surly cross-check a year or so ago. I've run them pretty soft in the dirt, and they feel nice for that.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
jplatzner said:
In Issaquah, I pass the MOAC (Mother Of All Costco's) and get on the new trail headed north to Redmond. Have I mentioned it's been a little wet?
How are those fenders working for you? I'm thinking about getting a couple sets for our travel bikes-they look tougher than plastic fenders.

G

·
JP,

I keep going back and looking at this thread, it is just darn fun.

It is fun to look at and appears evident that the guy on the bike is having fun. This thread motivated me to get my MTB out and make a cheap "Atlantis" clone out of it. That darn bike is now fun for the first time ever, moustache bars, bar end shifters and a long quill so I sit up see where I'm going.

I was having fun with it until the weekend, when the snow and ice hit, but my studded tires will arrive today and me and my big heavy bike are going out slogging again tonight.

Thanks JP for putting the enjoyment back in that bike again.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MB1 said:
How are those fenders working for you? I'm thinking about getting a couple sets for our travel bikes-they look tougher than plastic fenders.
Hey MB,
The fenders are working out well. So far they are tough enough. I put a layer of fiberglass on the inside and used huge washers to spread the load at the connetions, but I doubt they are stronger than plastic ones. I'd think these might crack insteda of flex if I ever bend them too far, so they might not be the best to beat up too bad.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
toomanybikes said:
JP,
I keep going back and looking at this thread, it is just darn fun.
It is fun to look at and appears evident that the guy on the bike is having fun. This thread motivated me to get my MTB out and make a cheap "Atlantis" clone out of it. That darn bike is now fun for the first time ever, moustache bars, bar end shifters and a long quill so I sit up see where I'm going.
I was having fun with it until the weekend, when the snow and ice hit, but my studded tires will arrive today and me and my big heavy bike are going out slogging again tonight.

Thanks JP for putting the enjoyment back in that bike again.
Hey! You made my day with these comments! Have fun.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
What a gorgeous bike.

joe

·
MING
419 Posts
jplatzner -

i met you at the rbr ride you threw together, but were unable to ride, this fall (thanks for doing that by the way) we should do a rain ride.

about those fenders...what type are they? they look rather neato.

good report. keep those toes warm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.