Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My commute to work and back takes me on an East-West route across the Dallas North Tollway and 75. I start off just north of 635 (Addison, basically) and end up around 75 and Campbell in Richardson. Anybody know of a good route for that? Which highway crossings are the best/safest? Unfortunately the Dallas metro has truly horrible accommodations for non-motorized traffic.

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've found some decent roads in general - Alpha takes me most of the way, then I can snake my way around on various side streets. The only real hassle is the highway crossings - I'm still debating which is the least dangerous way to cross 75. The Tollway isn't too bad at the Galleria and the one at Alpha, both of which work for me.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Collins is good to cross 75. Melrose is a good E-W to feed into it from Meandering Way.

Belt Line is not bad for crossing 75, you can get there from Dumont / Lindale / thru the shopping center. Then make a quick right to parallel on Polk, or a left on Interurban then jog onto Greenville northbound which in that area is always light traffic.

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Creakyknees said:
Collins is good to cross 75. Melrose is a good E-W to feed into it from Meandering Way.

Belt Line is not bad for crossing 75, you can get there from Dumont / Lindale / thru the shopping center. Then make a quick right to parallel on Polk, or a left on Interurban then jog onto Greenville northbound which in that area is always light traffic.
I've been crossing at Belt Line in the mornings. Only problem is that it goes down to 2 lanes so I am forced to merge shortly after crossing. Coincidentally, I took Interurban this morning as well.

I'm going to attempt Collins at some point as well. That bridge looks like a good climb.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Oh please, we don't have any "good climbs" in this part of Texas.

At Belt Line eastbound, you can hang a right on Sherman instead of merging, then left on Polk and left again on Interurban, with a stoplight for ya.

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Creakyknees said:
Oh please, we don't have any "good climbs" in this part of Texas.
Agreed. Allow me to rephrase that as "a short break from the flat monotony of my normal ride".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.