Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the fiancee and I are heading to a friend's house on Cobb Island, MD for the weekend before the 4th of July. We live in Arlington, VA. Is it reasonable to ride a bcycle to Cobb Island? I am totally unfamiliar with the area, traffic, etc. If so, any route suggestions, roads to take or avoid?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
The only Cobb Island that I can find through Mapquest is in Southern Maryland (Charles County), not on the Eastern Shore.

Are you asking if you can ride from Arlington to Cobb Island, or whether there is good riding around there? If the place to which you are going is in Southern Maryland, you probably can ride there from Arlington. You may have some issues getting through DC and Prince George's County, but Charles County has some decent cycling roads. I'm sure that MB1 would have some suggestions as to how you could get there. If the place to which you are going really is on the Eastern Shore, you will have a problem riding there from Arlington. Bikes are not allowed on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the only way to get to the Eastern Shore of Maryland from the Western Shore by bike (without having a car ferry you across the Bay Bridge) is to ride north and cross the Susquehanna River somewhere north of Harve de Grace. It would be possible, but probably more of a ride than you would like to do in a day.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MarkS said:
The only Cobb Island that I can find through Mapquest is in Southern Maryland (Charles County), not on the Eastern Shore.

Are you asking if you can ride from Arlington to Cobb Island, or whether there is good riding around there? If the place to which you are going is in Southern Maryland, you probably can ride there from Arlington. You may have some issues getting through DC and Prince George's County, but Charles County has some decent cycling roads. I'm sure that MB1 would have some suggestions as to how you could get there. If the place to which you are going really is on the Eastern Shore, you will have a problem riding there from Arlington. Bikes are not allowed on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the only way to get to the Eastern Shore of Maryland from the Western Shore by bike (without having a car ferry you across the Bay Bridge) is to ride north and cross the Susquehanna River somewhere north of Harve de Grace. It would be possible, but probably more of a ride than you would like to do in a day.
You are right. The Cobb Island I am refering to is in Southern MD. I am asking about actually getting there via bicycle. I am not very familliar with MD and assumed we were going to the eastern shore for some reason.

I would appreciate and further info on the best way to get to Cobb Island in southern MD via bicycle.

The US just scored. Goooooooooooooooooooooooal!!!!
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,853 Posts
Good luck since you don't even know where it is.

lampshade said:
Ok, so the fiancee and I are heading to a friend's house on Cobb Island, MD for the weekend before the 4th of July. We live in Arlington, VA. Is it reasonable to ride a bcycle to Cobb Island? I am totally unfamiliar with the area, traffic, etc. If so, any route suggestions, roads to take or avoid?
If you are actually going to Cobb Island it is in Southern Maryland south of Indian Head and La Plata. Yes you can ride down there but it would be tough from Arlington since you are going to have to cross the Potomac in DC and DC is hard to ride out of to the South.

You might take the Metro to the Greenbelt station since it is fairly easy to ride out of the city from there. Work your way over to LaPlata then take 301 South and East to 257 which dead ends at Cobb Island. I'm thinking it won't be 100 miles but it won't be much short of that.

The riding is quite good the closer you get to the island so your best bet may be to just drive there with your bikes and explore the area.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MB1 said:
If you are actually going to Cobb Island it is in Southern Maryland south of Indian Head and La Plata. Yes you can ride down there but it would be tough from Arlington since you are going to have to cross the Potomac in DC and DC is hard to ride out of to the South.

You might take the Metro to the Greenbelt station since it is fairly easy to ride out of the city from there. Work your way over to LaPlata then take 301 South and East to 257 which dead ends at Cobb Island. I'm thinking it won't be 100 miles but it won't be much short of that.

The riding is quite good the closer you get to the island so your best bet may be to just drive there with your bikes and explore the area.
Thanks. Google maps quotes the distance at 60-something miles. I am thinking of having the fiancee drop me off in MD after we get through all the muck of PG county and ride from there.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top