Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a build kit and can get either of these... leaning towards the easton, but any thoughts would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd Go With The Easton

I just bought a Easton Orion wheelset a few months ago and I have been very impressed. One of the few factory wheels that are still handbuilt. You can tell the difference. Spin up fast and absorb road bumps much better than I expected. Flexs ever so slightly when you hammer it and very responsive on descents.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had a set of Circuits for close to two years. Outside of one tweak to the rear wheel after the first 500 miles. I haven't touched them. Great wheels, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a difference between Circuit and Circuit Comp???

in the review section , there are Easton Circuit and Easton Circuit Comp, both same price, but different descriptions? Are they the same, or are there 2 types of Circuit wheelsets???

thanks..

lee

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Machine vs. hand built - feeling the difference?

razoredge said:
I just bought a Easton Orion wheelset a few months ago and I have been very impressed. One of the few factory wheels that are still handbuilt. You can tell the difference.
Okay, I'll bite - how you can tell the difference?

razoredge said:
Spin up fast and absorb road bumps much better than I expected. Flexs ever so slightly when you hammer it and very responsive on descents.
I hope this isn't how you think you can tell the difference between machine built and hand built. Because if the spokes aren't so loose that they completely slacken in use, there will be no difference in flex or responsiveness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Difference is in the Feel

Mark McM said:
Okay, I'll bite - how you can tell the difference?

I hope this isn't how you think you can tell the difference between machine built and hand built. Because if the spokes aren't so loose that they completely slacken in use, there will be no difference in flex or responsiveness.

I'm sure if you put a tension measuring device on the machine-built versus hand-built you wouldn't notice a difference. All I can say is that the hand-built Eastons felt like they had been fine-tuned with the stiffness vs. flex dialed-in. It's all in the feel, and they feel and respond great. I was very impressed. But then again, maybe it's all in my head.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
razoredge said:
But then again, maybe it's all in my head.
Probably. You can't "fine tune" the stiffness of a wheel without changing the components. Whether a human hand or a robot turned the nipples makes not a whit of difference in how stiff the wheel will be or how it will feel (assuming that the tension is high enough to keep them from slackening in use). Contrary to a common conception, wheel stiffness does not change with tension, so you can't fine tune a wheel by adjusting spoke tension.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Comps are the older version

bikerboy337 said:
in the review section , there are Easton Circuit and Easton Circuit Comp, both same price, but different descriptions? Are they the same, or are there 2 types of Circuit wheelsets???

thanks..

lee
Velomax called them Comps 2-3 years ago. On RBR they show up as Easton as all the review titles were changed from Velomax to Easton after they were purchased. So, the Comps are a few years old if you see them, but to my knowledge are the same wheel with just different decals.

I rode a set of Circuits for 2+ years. Rock solid and smooth. Only changed them out when I went Campy since they don't make a Campy version. Go with the Circuits. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If the $$ is similar- Get the Circuits- superior technology & lighter. Beautiful looking, too. Never met a rider who did not love their Circuits. The Equipe is OK, but does not live up to the Ksyrium name. It's not a bad wheelset, just not as good as others for similar $$. (My LBS talked me out of the Equipe in favor of Ultegra/OP's- and I think that was the right decision for me. Circuits were out of my price range at the time).

I won't step into the "machine vs hand built" issue ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts