Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my wheelset for every day 30-50 mile rides with a good amount of Vermont climbing.

I have two options:

American Classic 420 aero 3's for $429

OR

Easton EA70 SL's for $418

I am a 6' 2" and 205 pounds, so I don't want to get a wheelset with a low spoke count only to have them break when I ride over crappy road surfaces (which are common here).

Anyone have experience with either of these wheels? I like the fact that the Easton's would be easy to fix, but the deal on the AE's is hard to pass up.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
I would never buy AC wheels. Stupid small front hub bearings and I'm not a big fan of the rear hub either. I'm not overly enthusiastic about stuff from Easton as well. I'd have something built w/ decent rims and maybe some 32 hole Shimano hubs or something similar. They'll last much longer I guarantee.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
No offence and granted what I'm about to say is anecdotal.....but you're managed to narrow it down to two pretty crappy wheel makers.

American Classic's problems are pretty well documented and a very disproportionate number of people I know who have problems with wheels have Easton wheels. Well I should say "had" Easton wheels because they gave up. Those are well priced wheels but you know the expression about getting what you pay for. Although, not to imply you can't get something good for that price. Just not Easton or AC IMO.

Vermont has some pretty major pot holed roads and you're on the heavy side so spoke count is import but build quality as or more important.
What CX wrench said built by someone who's good is a good bet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No offense taken, I am really glad to have the input from this thread in my back pocket as I look at wheels. Not gonna make a $500 mistake with either of these wheelsets it looks like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts