Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a lot of 2008's are going at good prices, any thought on one over the other. I am 185 lbs, ride about 5000 miles a year on FLAT roads that are in mostly good condition. I have, in my opinion researched my brains out, and would like to close the deal on these wheels for 500 -550 for a new pair of 2008's.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I'll be honest, SLX is not worth it.

Sure, it's more baller, but is it worth the extra money?

·
Registered
788 Posts
For that price and weight you could have hand built wheels that are better. Mike Garcia or White Mountain wheels. Check them out .
If you are set on the Eastons ,Ec90 is the way to go . Slx is not that great imo.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Look up Bicycle Wheel Warehouse and get a set from them. If you're not looking for race wheels, I'd go with a set of DT 1.2 rims/ Dura ace hubs/ brass nipples/ DT competition spokes. Sure it will be a little heavier, but they'll last for years with no problems.

I've written off Easton wheels. I've had nothing but problems with there upper priced products.

If I had a choice between the SL or SLX, I'd take the SL any day of the week. The SL is a much more laterally stiff wheel and more likely to hold up.

Stay away from anything that has less than 24 spokes on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I love the ea90 sl's, light enough and extremely durable. I bought mine at an end of season sale for $500 and have about 1k miles on them over the winter and zero complaints. Even with winter gravel all over our roads, still just as true as the day I bought them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I found a set of EA90 SLX's for $350 and just couldn't pass that deal up. So far I've put about 1000 miles on them and I've been very pleased. I'm just over 200 lbs. and haven't had any issues, granted I only use them for fast club rides and races. I use much heavier wheels (i.e. sturdier) with wider tires on my training rides.

The Eastons are good on hilly road races and they spin up fast enough for crits, but if I had the money I'd buy something a little stiffer for crits. If I had to pay full price I'd probably look for something else, but I feel like I got a good deal on a pretty decent wheelset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts