Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new gravel bike came with Easton Ea70 wheels which are billed as "tubeless ready' but for the life of me I can't get my Maxxis Rambler "tubeless ready" tires to bead up. I've been dealing with MTB tubeless for many years and I've tried every trick I know including soaping the bead and removing the valve stem for better air flow with a compressor. I even ran them with tubes for a week to help form the tires. Still nothing.

I noticed that the rims have a strip in them but it's not very thick and the tires don't seem to be very tight on the inner part of the rim. Is there another rim strip that is supposed to go on to make tubeless setup possible?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Not all tubeless setups are the same.

The wheels you have, the EA70XCT I presume, are a UST standard.

The tires, made by Maxxis, are not. Maxxis says that the UST standard creates unnecessary weight and they don't use it, they have their own thing instead that they say works fine.

If I were you, I'd ditch those tires and get some UST tires to go with your UST rims. I like things to match as intended on my bike, especially when involves keeping a tire on a rim.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Make sure the rim strip is a tape like Stans and not just a rim strip.

Have you tried using a string around the circumference of the tire to compress the tire in and thus hold push the sidewalls out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.