Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding DT Swiss 1450 wheels, and I have the chance to pick up a set of brand new '09 Easton EA90 SLX wheels for $360. The price seems to be right, and having a second set of wheels would be more convenient, but I'm wondering if it will be worth it compared to my current wheels.

·
Registered
38 Posts
nfosterma said:
I am currently riding DT Swiss 1450 wheels, and I have the chance to pick up a set of brand new '09 Easton EA90 SLX wheels for $360. The price seems to be right, and having a second set of wheels would be more convenient, but I'm wondering if it will be worth it compared to my current wheels.
Albeit I have the 2008 EA90 slx version, I think the 2009 model has improvements limited to the hubs/ceramic bearings and a slight weight reduction. I can only speak for the 2008 model:

Personally, I find them to be very responsive wheelset that spin up fast on sprints and quick starts. They roll smooth even over some of the roughest pavements I've ridden. They also climb extremely well due to light weight design.

There are two caveats here: As a relatively light rider (135-140lbs), I shouldn't have much trouble with wheel stiffness. However, on hard sprints jumping from 35kph to 48-50kph over a flat, I find the wheelset a little flexy. This is also apparent on steep climbs. Although I don't think there is anything to really worry about here.The second issue I have is that the 2008 graphics are cheap looking (just stickers), maybe this has changed for the 2009 version?

The wheels have stayed tru (I have spent about 2000km on them thus far) and feel fresh as they have from day 1.

Other than that, for that price, a wheelset that's handbuilt from Easton and sub 1450 grams with ceramic bearings is a STEAL! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got the 2008's as well and really like them. They are definitely light and sturdy. I've weighed b/w 188 and 175 on them and have not had a problem.

For me, they flex LESS than the stock Bonty Race Lite's I had, but I attribute this to the greater spoke tension on the Eastons. However, if you are coming from DT's, you are already familiar with the advantage of the higher tension found on hand-trued wheels: it definitely cuts down on windup.

The '09's seems to have slightly nicer hubs and looks. They are a good buy at full price. At your price, it would be foolish NOT to buy them. Worst case, you could unload them for more, but I think your initial instinct was better: save them for later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts