Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
surely it's not too early to start talking about wheelsets for the next coming season.

has anyone gotten any decent ride time on these wheels?

specifically:
ride quality?
stiffness? (i'm north of 200 and plan on racing these wheels)
durability?
ability to set up non-tubeless ready tires? (for example clement PDX)

most reviews have been positive, just looking for a few other opinions.

trying to decide b/w these and 32hole Stan's Iron Cross Disc.

Cheers!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CX Magazine did a review of both of these. Easton's are much stronger for your weight. I believe that the Stan's are only rated for 200lbs.
thanks. i have that issue and re-read it last night.

if i were to really consider Stan's, i'd go with a custom built 32hole with sapim spokes.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump.

anyone on the easton's yet?

i wish some of the tire manufacturers would start making 34/35c versions of their tubeless tires ie Kenda and Vittoria.

35c tubeless on wide rims would be super cush!

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
A month ago I bought a pair of Easton EA90-XCs to use on my cross bike with road tires.

They retail for a little more ($960) and have 24 spokes f/r, wider rims and weigh about 20 grams more; 1628 on my scales.
The rims are 19mm internally with 24mm external width. The construction is the same as the XDs with threaded eyelets and tubeless ready rims. The hubs and nipples are anodized red.

I got them on sale at Nashbar for $455 and just yesterday they had a one-day sale where the pair was $390, damn what a deal.

They look great and are well built and tensioned. The rims do have a slight recess in the middle that makes mounting tires easier, but still needed tools.

I've mounted 25mm Vittorias but haven't tried them on the road yet, sorry.

Also, I weigh 170 and can't predict how they'll handle your weight. I don't know if I'd get 20 spoke wheels (XD) if I were you.

Edit: I just checked Nashbar again and they are still on sale at $385.98 for the pair. They're listed as EA90-XC 29er wheels.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your insight randy.

i pulled the trigger on 2 sets since i'm building up a frame with disc and need a backup/trainer set. easton claims no weight limit on these things. good thing the mechanic of our CX team is a tech for easton.

i also ordered some kenda slant 6 with the SCT bead.

the bike should be built up by the end of the month and i'll post up my initial thoughts on the wheelset as well as updates throughout the season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.