Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
When the stem is tightened to the steerer tube of a threadless fork, the stem acts as a lock for the headset bearing adjustment. The Beartrap adjuster loosening should not cause your headset to loosen unless the stem bolts were loose.

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
jaredhartman said:
When the stem is tightened to the steerer tube of a threadless fork, the stem acts as a lock for the headset bearing adjustment. The Beartrap adjuster loosening should not cause your headset to loosen unless the stem bolts were loose.
The stem holds the headset bearing adjustment when you use a plug or a star nut. The beartrap and I believe a similar product called a ringo something made by U.S.E work by expanding between a set stem and the bearings, although if the stem were to loosen up, the adjustment would also go. I've never used that beartrap, but I've read about it and looked at it, and that adjustment screw looked too small for my piece of mind.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Easyrider's correct.

The beartrap acts as essentially an expanding spacer, so if it loosens up, the headset tension will loosen as well, regardless of how secure the stem is attached.

A few folks on the 'cross forum reported the same problem using the beartrap on the EC90X 'cross fork. The solution is to use a proper expander bolt. FSA has been recommended and is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yeah, about that... I work in the shop at a local builder, and we throw those away once or twice a day. We put in cheap Problem Solvers expanders that probably add 50g, but nobody complains.

I must say, though - I don't see any reason why a loose headset would cause you to crash. Your steering mightdevelop a lot of play, but there's no reason why your bars shouldn't still control EXACTLY what the front wheel does.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've got the EC90SL with a USE Ringo Starr, which I understand is very similar to the "beartrap" that easton includes with them. My EC90 is an 04 w/alloy dropouts and didn't come with the beartrap HSA. I've got ~400miles on it since I installed the EC90 (from a EC70) and I've not had any adjustment problems, yet. I check my headset adjustment before I go for a ride almost every time. Just grab the front brake and gently rock the bike back and forth against the brake and feel the interfaces between lower headset cup and fork and the upper cup and stem. Takes <10seconds and give me some piece of mind.

I've only tigtened it once, after taking a spacer out from under my stem. Seemed to work pretty good to me. The tricky bit is backing the Ringo Starr/beartrap all the way down to its smallest size and then pushing the stem on as hard as you can by hand and tighten it. Then start to expand the Ringo till you get the headset properly pre-loaded. If you don't back the expander all the way down, you might not have enough adjustment left to get the headset properly tightened.

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
EasyRider47 said:
To any who may be concerned about life & limb:

Based on my personal experience yesterday with a new Easton SL90 Fork with the Easton HSA (BearTrap headset adjuster), I would strongly recommend that anyone who uses this fork and BearTrap setup should first ensure that their life insurance policy is in force!

I had the above-noted fork and hsa installed on Friday and after having it double-checked at the LBS, I went for a ride that afternoon. After a half hour of climbing a few hills, I started down a steep slope, pushing 60+ kmph....and then I felt my handlebars move slightly - I touched the front brakes slightly to slow down and see what was going on - and the entire front end of the bike started rocking, almost uncontrollably - it felt like my front fork had disengaged from the wheel! I took my hand off the brake and I continued down the hill (holding my breath) and I let the bike stop on its own at the bottom of the hill and just used the rear brake. I moved my handlebars forwardand the wheel moved backwards and inch or two - the fork was loose in the headtube - the so-called Easton headset adjuster mechanism (BearTrap mechanism) was completely loose (it was tight at the LBS).

Somehwat enraged, I called the LBS - and he confirmed that he had this complaint from a number of parties and he had experienced this himself! He indicated it appears to come loose quite easily! (They didn't tell me this when I bought the damn thing!)

IS EASTON LOOKING FOR LIABILITY CLAIMS AND DO THEY EVER USE THEIR OWN PRODUCTS? DO THEIR ENGINEERS EVER RIDE A BIKE? IF NOT, I WILL LEND THEM MY BIKE AND TAKE THEM TO A NICE STEEP HILL TO TRY OUT THEIR PRODUCTS!

IMAGINE, A HEADSET ADJUSTMENT MECHANISM THAT AUTOMATICALLY LOOSENS BY ITSELF!!! WTF IS GOING ON AT EASTON????

NEEDLESS TO SAY - TODAY I HAD THE LBS REMOVE THE EASTON SH_T (Pat - I'd like to buy a vowel...an "i"!) FROM MY BIKE.

Just thought someone might be interested......

EasyRider47

PS - This is my second product failure with Easton - the Easton EC-90 Stem - cannot be secured in place either (another marvellous piece of imaginative engineering from Easton - a stem that never tightens securely - maintains flexibility in all conditions!)- I dumped it last year! And no response from my email complaint to them about it either!

I guess you know what I think about Easton going forward.....
I've been using two beartraps for about a year. They work great. I plan on continuing using them.

I just returned for the TDG and was blasting down mounatin passes in excess of 50 MPH and the bike steered like it was on rails. Still no loose headset.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
I've been using two beartraps for about a year. They work great. I plan on continuing using them.

I just returned for the TDG and was blasting down mounatin passes in excess of 50 MPH and the bike steered like it was on rails. Still no loose headset.
I'd be blastin' around, too, if I was one of the lucky ones who got to touch a Zero Gravity crankset. Bastard.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Tis True....

Easton's new setup is crappy, (I have the cross version of this fork) What I have done is used a expansion plug instead and have had no problems.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Your one to talk

alienator said:
I'd be blastin' around, too, if I was one of the lucky ones who got to touch a Zero Gravity crankset. Bastard.
don't you have a set of Dracula's on the way? and some custom Ligero wheels? Crap, how long do I have to wait? Post pics.!!!!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
don't you have a set of Dracula's on the way? and some custom Ligero wheels? Crap, how long do I have to wait? Post pics.!!!!
How long do YOU have to wait??? How long do I have to wait? See, even Juanmoretime gets to see my wheels, as well as new, Fabulous Fashions by Ligero knitted products before me!

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
alienator said:
They were awesome! To actually see the design and examine the machining, the bottom bracket axle was huge to say nothing of the Phil Wood bearings.

Besides you will be very happy. Troy knits better than my Mom did. ;^)

Guess who's wheel Troy has in the stand?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
They were awesome! To actually see the design and examine the machining, the bottom bracket axle was huge to say nothing of the Phil Wood bearings.
It'll be interesting to see how the ZG cranks perform. There be a lot of naysayers who think the crankarms will be less than stiff, but I'm more of the wait and see kind of mind. I really don't believe that ZG would put out a noodly set of cranks. They're damned sexy that's for sure.

Juanmoretime said:
Besides you will be very happy. Troy knits better than my Mom did. ;^)

Guess who's wheel Troy has in the stand?
I'm having some very unholy, randy thoughts right now, especially since that looks like a rear wheel that'd fit nicely on my bike. But while the wheel looks nice, I know it can't be mind 'cuz Troy said he was buildin' my rear up w/ 29 spokes. The wheel in the picture only has 28 spokes!:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts