Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to decide which fork to put on a 2008 Jamis Ventura Elite I'm putting together. Right now I'm considering an Easton EC70 Aero versus a Reynolds Ouzo Comp. Both are carbon with an aluminum steerer and price is similar.

I have no experience with integrated headsets or carbon forks and am trying to find what might work best for both. Got the bare frame and have about all I need to build it except fork and headset and want to make good choices. Need something fairly stiff as I'm over 200 lbs, though trying to get under..lol..

Any thoughts woud be appreciated.

Thanks,
KL

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
There are lot's of great forks out there.
Alpha Q makes superb forks. Maybe their CS-10 or CS20 would work for you and are comparably priced to the Easton.
Or you could keep it real witih steel and buy a Vicious cycles steel fork.
But I strongly advise not to purchase any Reynolds fork, as Reynold's is no longer in the fork biz. That will lead to issues if you ever have a warranty claim in the future.

As for headsets, just get a Chris King. You may whine about the price now, but you will never ever have a problem with a properly installed King headset, even after 15 years has gone by and the headset has been installed in half a dozen bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Didn't know Reynolds was out of the fork biz. I can get the Easton for @ $100 which is cheap.

Chris King. Yes, the best but doesn't make an integrated headset, do they? Thought they were strongly opposed to integrated headsets..

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
KL322 said:
Thanks. Didn't know Reynolds was out of the fork biz. I can get the Easton for @ $100 which is cheap.

Chris King. Yes, the best but doesn't make an integrated headset, do they? Thought they were strongly opposed to integrated headsets..
For some odd reason I thought you had a Jamis Eclipse, not a Ventura.
The Ritchey WCS integrated or the Cane Creek Solos or 110's don't seem that bad for a high end internal headset. BUT, be very sure that you have the right integrated headset. There is three or four different standards out there, they all look the same but all just different enough to not work together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! You've been a great help. Looks like the Easton fork is it. I was also trying to figure out which headset was right. Posted on the Jamis forum here, but no answers. I emailed Jamis and found a nearby LBS that has started carrying Jamis so am going to talk to them. Seems the degree of bevel is different, and not sure what else so know the right fit is critical. Of course maybe Jamis will answer sometime soon too.

Hey, just an old guy trying to put together a bike I love to ride so wil get out more often and get in shape. I also have a 2002 Jamis Quest I put together and it is sweet. Steel is great, but saw the Ventura frame new on Ebay for $250 and couldn't resist... it's nice to put it together just how I like, and enjoy searching around for the right parts. Trying to get it right the first time and buying the wrong thing,...been there, done that..

40 degrees and sunny today and wish I wasn't at work....just ran home as the frame was delivered..can't wait to get it together....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I found the EC70 Aero SL which has carbon steerer on sale at Sierra Trading Post for $99, and happened to have a 20% off coupon from them good through tomorrow, so got it for $90 including shipping. Had been loooking at the EC70 with aluminum steerer, but this was too good to pass up.

Now for the headset and will be able to put it all together.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
I'm quite sure Jamis is the 'Cane Creek' standard. But not 100% sure.
it is. he'll just need just need to switch his crown race over. if he can get it off his old fork. if not jenson use to carry them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Did talk to LBS and he said it was a 45 degree bevel, and here on the Jamis thread someone said his had a Cane Creek headset so should be ok with those.

Brand new bare frame and came w/o the fork, so will have to get a crown race. Hadn't crossed my mind. I'll probably have the LBS install as don't feel comfortable figuring out cutting the steerer, and as I understand the frame may need to be faced and reamed. Can surely get the crown race there.

I'll do some assembly myself and have the LBS do parts I am not sure about. You have helped me with what I need to get a lot, so I can get this done soon. I think I have everything but the headset and brake cables, and the crown race. Making progress.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
"I think I have everything but the headset and brake cables, and the crown race."

The new headset you buy will include a crown race, at least every one I've ever bought did. Personally, I like the FSA integrated headsets.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
But I strongly advise not to purchase any Reynolds fork, as Reynold's is no longer in the fork biz. That will lead to issues if you ever have a warranty claim in the future.
Have a link to this information? I did a search and could not find anything. I thought that Reynolds was changing the design of the steerer tube for '09 so that a compression plug was no longer necessary. I have a brand new '08 Ouzo Pro fork sitting in my garage waiting for my next project.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Any particular reason why you have an embedded Flash link in your quotes to a site called photozbucket? Checking your posting history, all your quoted responses have this. You're either doing it maliciously, or your computer is seriously infected. The latter being the case, please do us all a favor and clean/disinfect your system.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Dr_John said:
Any particular reason why you have an embedded Flash link in your quotes to a site called photozbucket? Checking your posting history, all your quoted responses have this. You're either doing it maliciously, or your computer is seriously infected. The latter being the case, please do us all a favor and clean/disinfect your system.
I will take care of that- nice catch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.