Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One for the experts today. I've got a BMC SL01 frameset that came with an Easton EC70 fork, and a build kit that I nabbed an EC90 fork with. I'm planning on using the EC90 with the FSA headset that came with the frameset. (1 1/8 integrated 36/36)

My question is this, does the EC90 require a lower race installed as a traditional fork would? Reason I ask is two-fold. First, the EC70 came with one, albiet not completely seated, but it left the bearing perched on top of the race, not flat against it. So, I took it to my LBS for some advice and he's of the impression that the EC90 doesn't need a lower race, and that the bearing rests against the fork crown and is assembled directly into the frame that way. See the pictures for some more details:

If they don't autoload:
http://cid-97a19d8742d6a081.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/IMG|_6672.JPG
http://cid-97a19d8742d6a081.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/IMG|_6694.JPG

That photo is of the Ec70, but that's the race in question. Any advice would be helpful, I'd like to start assembly tonight if I can.

Thanks,

-Josh

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Aren't you supposed to transfer the race of your headset to your new fork?

Races come with the headset, not with the fork. I say transfer over. You dont' want your bearings against your CFRP on the fork.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CleavesF said:
Aren't you supposed to transfer the race of your headset to your new fork?

Races come with the headset, not with the fork. I say transfer over. You dont' want your bearings against your CFRP on the fork.
That's what I thought, and that's what I plannd on doing, but I wanted some clarification from my shop since it didn't seem to seat properly. When he said go without, that threw me for a loop. And he said it with such confidence, I shudder to think what people are riding around on out there...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.