Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Cycle Boy
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) I figured why the hell not?......I got a really good price and I figured it was worth the extra bucks to have my LBS behind me if something went wrong.

Here's the FLICKR link if you want to see them on my bike :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/qualitypicz/sets/72157624178607596/

I took them for a quick 5 mile run and they spin up great. The Ceramic bearings are nice. I'll do a Pacific Coast Highway run this week to see if my flat-speeds get better or are easier to maintain.

One BIG thing I did notice is the bumps on the road were absorbed much more. Quite noticeable actually :) Not placebo-effect for sure. This works out fantastic for me as I get quite "jarred" on long rides. I'm sure these will prove to be more comfortable after further testing.

All in all, I'm pretty happy so far :)
 

·
Cycle Boy
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MattSoutherden said:
I notice you're running Shimano with a Red cassette. How do you like it? Are you doing that to avoid freehub body gouging?
LOVE IT :) The combo works pretty well. I tried using a SRAM RED chain but had issues. I use a Dura Ace 7900 chain and its like butter.

I originally did it because I did research ont he forum and it was said that this combo would work pretty well. So I tired it and BAM! :)

- UItegra 7800 shifters
- Ultegra 7900 Crank
- Ultegra 7800 front and rear derailleuer
- Dura Ace 7900 chain
 

·
Cycle Boy
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JimT said:
Looks great, What wheels are u comming off of?
Custom Wheel build

- Kinlin XR200s
- Sapim CX RAYs
- Elf Front/H3 Rear
- 20/28
- Internal nipples
- 1398 grams

The build was very nice and stiff, but now I do a combination of flats and hill climbs - more flats now. So I needed a good combo of Aero and lightweight. But man.....I was really shocked to see the definite improvement in ride quality. It soaks up the smaller road bumps SO significantly :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Where did you get it from and how much? Been scoping this for a long time on ebay $1000-1300 shipped, but cant decide to pull the triger on ebay.
SROC3 said:
:) I figured why the hell not?......I got a really good price and I figured it was worth the extra bucks to have my LBS behind me if something went wrong.

Here's the FLICKR link if you want to see them on my bike :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/qualitypicz/sets/72157624178607596/

I took them for a quick 5 mile run and they spin up great. The Ceramic bearings are nice. I'll do a Pacific Coast Highway run this week to see if my flat-speeds get better or are easier to maintain.

One BIG thing I did notice is the bumps on the road were absorbed much more. Quite noticeable actually :) Not placebo-effect for sure. This works out fantastic for me as I get quite "jarred" on long rides. I'm sure these will prove to be more comfortable after further testing.

All in all, I'm pretty happy so far :)
 

·
Cycle Boy
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my Local Bike shop - Helen's Cycles. You can try and call them to see if they'll give you 20% off, but I doubt it unless you are there in person
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Glad to hear it works. I just ordered a 1090 cassette and a Wipperman 10S1 chain for my [what is currently] a full 7900 setup.

I've gone for the Red cassette as I've totally trashed 2 DT 240s freehub bodies in the last year with DA cassettes*. And I had the 7900 chains with the quick-links that have now been discontinued. I find it really useful to remove the chain so I can clean the mechs, etc when washing the bike. Hopefully the 10S1s are as good as people say.

Matt.

*The usual: 1-5 cogs digging into the splines. With 5 being so far round that shifting from 5-6 is erratic as the ramps no longer line up. And the 2 spiders don't dig-in as such, but wear away at the fhb such that they start to rattle around.
 

·
a$$hole
Joined
·
372 Posts
I just ordered a set, with my team discount, I'm getting them for $1000 "out the door." It took me quite a while to decide between these and a set of Kinlin/White Ind/CXRays.

In a sprint, have you found the Eastons to be stiff enough? I'm 71-72kg, so I'm a little concerned about the stiffness of this set.
 

·
Cycle Boy
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IAmSpecialized said:
I just ordered a set, with my team discount, I'm getting them for $1000 "out the door." It took me quite a while to decide between these and a set of Kinlin/White Ind/CXRays.

In a sprint, have you found the Eastons to be stiff enough? I'm 71-72kg, so I'm a little concerned about the stiffness of this set.
I weigh 65 kg.

The Eastons are a little less stiff. Very slightly but I can feel the rear flex a little more than my Kinlin build would. However, the Eastons are a 24 spoke count and my Kinlin build was a 28 spoke count. Both had Sapim spokes. Maybe the variation of 4 spokes make that slight difference. I haven't gone climbing with them yet and will report after.

I ride an Aluminum frame so the carbon rims definitely smooth out small cracks and bumps on the road. But when I hit bigger imperfections you can tell the carbon rims are stiffer than kinlins. DOes that make sense? :)

On the flats they feel great so far. I yet have to hop onto PCH and try them out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
IAmSpecialized said:
I just ordered a set, with my team discount, I'm getting them for $1000 "out the door." It took me quite a while to decide between these and a set of Kinlin/White Ind/CXRays.

In a sprint, have you found the Eastons to be stiff enough? I'm 71-72kg, so I'm a little concerned about the stiffness of this set.
You are way too big an you will hate them, send them to me!!!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
MattSoutherden said:
Glad to hear it works. I just ordered a 1090 cassette and a Wipperman 10S1 chain for my [what is currently] a full 7900 setup.

I've gone for the Red cassette as I've totally trashed 2 DT 240s freehub bodies in the last year with DA cassettes*. And I had the 7900 chains with the quick-links that have now been discontinued. I find it really useful to remove the chain so I can clean the mechs, etc when washing the bike. Hopefully the 10S1s are as good as people say.

Matt.

*The usual: 1-5 cogs digging into the splines. With 5 being so far round that shifting from 5-6 is erratic as the ramps no longer line up. And the 2 spiders don't dig-in as such, but wear away at the fhb such that they start to rattle around.
You know you can get a steel freehub body for the 240s, right?
 
1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top