Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Cycle Boy
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are these EC90's I'm debating on getting - http://www.eastonbike.com/road/products/wheels/ec90-sl-carbon-clincher

Retail is $1,800

I can get them for $1,584 - tax paid from my LBS.

I currently have a Custom Wheel Build on my bike. Kinlin Rims, Elf front, H3 rear and Conti Gators.

The reason I want to get the Easton wheel are for two reasons:
1 - Improve Ride quality (although I know GP4000s will do that)
2 - More Aero qualities from the 38mm rim

I ride on Pacific Coast Highway a lot and sometimes ride to the climbs and back. I wanted a wheel that was versatile enough (and stiff) for climbing hills. and also good on the Flats.

I weigh 145 lbs.

Any comments and suggestions would be great :)

· Registered
2,286 Posts
what makes u think they will improve ride quality?

in the end i call that a marginal call for the money... assuming you have kinlin 30s, the aero diff is marginal.... weight wise likely to be similar, and i can tell you, your hubs are superior to what comes with eastons...

there are better builds out there for not too much more money...

to actually get your comfort, hill cimbing and aero gains, an edge 1.45 set would be far superior... i think they can be had in the US around $2.2k, not too much more than 1.5.

consider the gains, as low as 1066g build weight, 45mm aero, superior components, actual comfort improvement cos it's tubbie....

· Registered
136 Posts
I agree with wankski. I don't think you will see significant gains going with the EC-90's. The hubs you have now are far better than the easton's. The only thing the Eastons have is a lighter weight rim that is slightly more aero, though edge rims would be more durable and lighter.

· Registered
16 Posts
For what it's worth, I have the new EC90 clinchers and I think they're pretty nice. I also think Zipp, Reynolds and Edge wheels are way overpriced. The EC90's are not the lightest (1460 grams) and not the most aero, but are very solid and fast. By the way, the reviewers at Bikeradar.com said they were the best carbon clinchers currently on the market.

· Cycle Boy
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
foofighter said:
i think if you had got the awesome price from competitive cyclist last week it would have made the decision a little less difficult. 40% off easton wheels, my wheels come on tuesday!
I know I saw your earlier post when doing some research....Grrrr.....I'm SO jealous. It tired the bloody code and it did not work.

[email protected]!!!#@!%#[email protected]

· Registered
135 Posts

· Cycle Boy
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
foofighter said:
mine showed up today :)
NiCE!!!!!!! Get them on yet? Did you go for a ride??? THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!

There's that little - barrel adjuster on both the front and rear hubs. make sure you adjust those properly. if not your wheel will do micro-wiggles...not good. I called Easton and they explained this to me.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
when you say adjusted how should they be just snug or tight?

anyway, unbeknown to me, you have to you use 7800 or 7900 shimano cassette. I was miffed to say the least. in the item description it shows Shimano/SRAM but when you get the wheels the sticker on the hub says ONLY shimano 7800/7900

luckily my buddy had a set he loaned to me slapped it on and it's set for tomorrow

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.