Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easier way to change a set of bars without the hassle of loosening brake and gear cables? In other words, is it feasible for me to undo the cork ribbon and the insulation tape holding the cable housing in place, and then simply unscrew the allen bolts fixing the (Dura Ace) levers to the handlebar clamp. Then all I need to do is replace the bars, install the handlebar fixing clamps to the new bars, attach the levers to the clamps, and tape up the bars. In theory this should work, although I've always done it the long way. Posssible?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Should work fine

gizzard said:
Is there an easier way to change a set of bars without the hassle of loosening brake and gear cables? In other words, is it feasible for me to undo the cork ribbon and the insulation tape holding the cable housing in place, and then simply unscrew the allen bolts fixing the (Dura Ace) levers to the handlebar clamp. Then all I need to do is replace the bars, install the handlebar fixing clamps to the new bars, attach the levers to the clamps, and tape up the bars. In theory this should work, although I've always done it the long way. Posssible?
The only reason you couldn't do this would be if your cable casings were cut close and you had a threaded stem - in that case you might not be able to slide the levers off the bars, but even that is not likely. If you slid the bars to one side and then the other, there should be plenty of slack to remove the levers and cables without undoing anything else. With a threadless stem, this seems a no-brainer.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Kerry. I had a feeling you would post a reply. It is indeed a threadless set-up. I had been thinking about a 'simple' solution for a number of days and it came to me at about 3 a.m. this morning.
I suppose the conventional way we used to do things doesn't really apply anymore since the stem manufacturers changed their design (and what a stroke a genius that was, in my opinion). I have never heard of anyone changing bars this way but that only makes me want to experiment all the more. I'll let you know if I encounter any glitches – that is if you haven't done this yourself already.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts