Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How in the world can you estimate calories when you eat out?
I have found several sites that have some places but not all. Any tips?
Some places just don't provide a number.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Even if they did provide a number, it wouldn't be spot on, way to many variances. Write down what you eat, then do the math, should be close enough.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
I know for a fact that "Biggie" Wendy's fries are over 500 calories a pop :(

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Almost anything you order out is 800 calories. Entree? 800 calories. Appetizer? 800 calories. Margarita? 800 calories.

Order one thing, eat half of it.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Or just be real about it. . .

Val_Garou said:
Almost anything you order out is 800 calories. Entree? 800 calories. Appetizer? 800 calories. Margarita? 800 calories.
. . Calorie intake and usage is governed by the conservation of energy. If you eat 2400 you must burn 2400. So eat what you want, but just be sure to use it!

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
If your talking fast food, screw it. Id be more worried about all the other crap they put in the food. I haven't had food in years.
It wouldn't hurt to ask what the caloric content is when your out. Chances are that somebody in the place has a rough estimate as to what it may be.

·
Registered
622 Posts
As my coach said, just eat like an athlete...if you eat out , lean meat, vegetables, complex carbs...etc...you know what to do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
T-Doc said:
As my coach said, just eat like an athlete...if you eat out , lean meat, vegetables, complex carbs...etc...you know what to do.
Yep, way better approach. Eat good quality nutrients. Calorie numbers don't matter nearly as much, especially when you exercise. Your body will be kind enough to remind you if it needs more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I maybe eat out 2x a month, max. I pack my daily food for school, or before work, etc. The times I eat out, I normally try to time it so it's the night after a long ride or race, so I have whatever I want, within reason.

If I have to dine out and don't need a ton of calories that day, I just modify whatever to be close to what I normally would be eating anyway- like rice, chicken, salad, a couple pieces of whole wheat veggie pizza, etc.

PhysioJoe

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry, kind of off topic.

I laughed at a girl here at work the other day eating a potato from Jason's deli. It was a baked potato with cream of broc soup on the top. She told me it was healthy and better than "fast food". I looked up the nutrition info online and she could have eaten 5 Big Macs just to equal the saturated fat content...LOL. Three Big Macs would equal the calories!!! :D

·
Registered
896 Posts
eating out and eating healthy is hard, no matter what restaurant you go to, unless you eat at a "healthy themed" restaurant, you will almost always need to modify your meal when ordering

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
This is a real dilemma for those of us who travel a lot for work. We were in Washington DC this week for a national conference. The food was great, and you could pick your portion size and exactly what you wanted. I noted that I was only hungry twice during the time I was there, but I never felt bloated or sleepy from my food. I believe that I eat better sometimes when I'm not eating at home! I do bring my lunch every day at work, as it not only allows me to regulate what I'm eating, but saves a small amount of money from going out too. I generally only spend 10 bucks per week on eating out at restaurants.

The list of "Acceptable" dining establishments with a good variety of fresh and healthier food is much shorter than the list of places you should just stay the hell out of !!!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
When I gave up sugar and bread I found that almost every retauraunt on the planet has a grilled chicken salad. Asking for dressing on the side helps cut calories a lot. Cutting things like cheese and bacon help, too.

BTW, Jack in the Box has the best grilled chicken salad for fast food. By far. I get the Southwest Chicken Salad, with grilled (not fried) chicken. It's about 600 calories. I find that the dressing is not necessary becuase the moisture from the black beans is plenty.

The Aisan grilled chicken salad isn't bad either, and has fewer calories.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I got some fettuccine alfredo yesterday. I poured out literally one cup of alfredo sauce from it. I'm pretty sure whatever recipe they had didn't call for one 1.5 cups of sauce in it. My point is, the serving sizes are never close to what they are on the nutrition info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
spinwax said:
Sorry, kind of off topic.

I laughed at a girl here at work the other day eating a potato from Jason's deli. It was a baked potato with cream of broc soup on the top. She told me it was healthy and better than "fast food". I looked up the nutrition info online and she could have eaten 5 Big Macs just to equal the saturated fat content...LOL. Three Big Macs would equal the calories!!! :D

NICE! Let her know that that Diet Coke she is drinking with it could lead to gulf war syntrom!

I once had a co-worker tell me that the parfee (sp?) from McDonkadonk was healthy... When will America learn that high fructos corn syrup is a bad thing...

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
ashpelham said:
This is a real dilemma for those of us who travel a lot for work. We were in Washington DC this week for a national conference. The food was great, and you could pick your portion size and exactly what you wanted. I noted that I was only hungry twice during the time I was there, but I never felt bloated or sleepy from my food. I believe that I eat better sometimes when I'm not eating at home! I do bring my lunch every day at work, as it not only allows me to regulate what I'm eating, but saves a small amount of money from going out too. I generally only spend 10 bucks per week on eating out at restaurants.

The list of "Acceptable" dining establishments with a good variety of fresh and healthier food is much shorter than the list of places you should just stay the hell out of !!!!
I used to travel to Japan on business. As long as I stayed out of the American joints in Tokyo, it was fairly easy to eat healthy. Soba buckwheat noodles are the best carb-loading food I've ever tried.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I deal with these same frustrations whenever eating out. Become very familiar with portion sizes. I went through a period when I was weighing all my food that I prepared. Now I can look at a plate of food and accurately guess the number of calories.

Things that get me steamed when eating out:
-Sandwich sauces and spreads.
Why does my sandwich come with mayo, ketsup, mustard, Mayo, and special sauce??? :mad2:

-Oil in Pasta.
I just need enough to keep the noodles from sticking to one another. :mad2:

-Butter on bread.
Why is my hamburger roll buttered? Isn't there enough flavor coming out of the beef.

-Salad Dressing.
On the side please!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts