Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
tri_this_world said:
Currently there are a number of high end road bikes being sold out of China. The starting bids are a tad low...Has any one else view these incredible deals? Too good to be true?

Thanks

went as far as trying to buy one. auctions state to "contact the seller first"... so that's what i did. very quick responses... i must add. first i asked if he had a size 52cm... quick reply was that he had one in stock. i then emailed back... said that i thought it over and would like a 50cm instead. he emailed back and said he had one of those too! hmmmm... he emailed the price... it was about 60% of what the bike retails for but i decided that it was too sketchy so i told him it was too expensive. he emails back and says that he's got a 50cm demo bike that he can sell for almost half of what he's selling the new bikes for. with such an attractive price, i decided to go through with it. i told him to set up an ebay auction for the demo bike and i would bid. he said that he'd set up a "special ebay transaction". i got an email - supposedly from ebay - stating that he was a special ebay seller and had the permission to set up these kinds of deals with ebay. the deal involved me sending the money (by money order only) to him. then emailing ebay and telling them the money was sent and all the information regarding the money order. when ebay recieved the notice, they would tell him to ship me the bike. the "guarantee" was that ebay was holding $25000 of his money in an account that if i didn't recieve the bike, ebay woudl refund me the money out of his account. YEAH RIGHT!!!

Buyer Beware!

·
Breakin' Stuff
439 Posts
Red Flags

A separate Email address listed or a request to "contact me first" are always two HUGE red flags that it is likely a scammer using a hijacked eBay account. Also bikes that are available in multiple sizes. Make sure to ONLY use the "Ask seller a Question" link to contact the seller.

Personally with all the bike scams on eBay, I would never buy a bike from a seller unless he agreed to swap phone #'s and make contact that way before sending payment. Any reputable seller won't have a problem doing that. Also asking a seller if local pick-up or inspection is an option (regardless whether they live anywhere near you) will help weed out scammers.

Why buy a bike from overseas unless it's a reputable dealer? With a little patience you can find pretty much anything you want in the US or Canada. Never worth the risk in my opinion.

Fancy listings that are in the "featured" section can also be a red flag. Not always, but someone who hijacks an eBay account isn't going to be responsible for the lsiting fees, so they will commonly use ALL the features available.

Short auctions on high-end bikes are also a huge red flag. 1 day auctions particularly. I have yet to see a legitimate 1-day auction for a high-end bike.

These things have all been discussed before on the forum, but it never hurts to throw 'em out there again.

·
MING
419 Posts
I recently bought an itm ksword for a very low price, on a no reserve auction. I paid 165 from a seller in china, online prices are usually 350, lbs ~400. I had a flawless transaction, shipping took a little longer due to the whole ocean thing. I added him to my favorites

but excercise due caution in all auctions,

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same Handlebar. Just got it last week. ITM makes a Tri strike bar for the K-wing.
Its called VIP Ultra carbon. Just male sure its for the wing shapped Handlebar. Only from UK though. And the point I learned is make sure the seller has paypal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The safest way to buy a bike is to ask the seller to take it to an LBS for inspestion. Even on e-bay. Just ask the seller if they are willing to take it to the LBS after purchase and before payment. They should understand you are real if you ask this of them. You as the buyer pick the LBS based on their address. I purchased a Pinarello on this site that way and since the seller was real, he had no issue w/ this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.