Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a pair of these last night thinking some guy just had an unused set laying around. Well today he's got more listed, and once I zoomed in, I saw that they don't really look as neat and straight edged as a genuine XXX cage. Ad says they weigh 16g a piece. Cost for the pair was $40 shipped.

I am wondering if it is safe to rock these fakes (at least I think they're fakes) or if they're going to break on me. I guess for the money, bontrager or not, they're a decent deal, but part of me wants to send them back when I get them.

Not really sure what i was expecting for getting 2 cages for half the price of one, but what would you do?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Might as well see what you get. I mean they are bottle cages. Worst case scenario a bottle falls out. It's not like it's a carbon handlebar or seatpost or something. =)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I know, just would suck to break one because I'm too OCD and would then replace both. I can get genuine Bontrager RL cages locally for $16 a piece which weigh 38g? I'll see if they're really carbon or just a shitty thin plastic and I guess that will let me decide easier.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Yea I know, just would suck to break one because I'm too OCD and would then replace both. I can get genuine Bontrager RL cages locally for $16 a piece which weigh 38g? I'll see if they're really carbon or just a shitty thin plastic and I guess that will let me decide easier.
If they are advertised on ebay as genuine Bontrager it will be easy to get your money back, just open a case with ebay and say that you received counterfeit.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
they are fake if they cost 30-40 bucks.. I have some legit ones and fake ones.. On "close" examination you can tell the difference.. but the fake ones work pretty well.... as long as you don't go Paris-Roubaix or anything I think they are good. I have been using my fake ones and real ones for over a year and a half.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a way to check if these are actually carbon or plastic? I have a scale I can weigh them on, but I don't want to cut one apart to find out.

if it's a carbon replica id trust it more. If it's a Chinese thin plastic cage, I wouldn't expect it to hold up, especially with how thin the material on the xxx already is

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Carbon *is* technically plastic. If you mean can you know if there are carbon fibers embedded in the matrix? If you can't see them (clear resin), then the only way to know is to cut/break one and see what you get.

Odd's are it's a carbon fiber bottle cage. I've inadvertently bought a few Chinese knock off carbon fiber parts (spacers, caps, cages, etc...). While they may not be quite as refined as the real thing, they are usually quite serviceable for their intended purpose.

Again, it's a bottle cage. Relax. If it were a seatpost, or a handlebar, or some other stress bearing thing, then you should rightfully be concerned, otherwise just chalk it up to a learning experience.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If they can copy the tooling and manufacturing to make a fake product, faking the packaging is well within reason too.

Point being, it's no proof of authenticity.

As usual, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Worst case scenario is a bottle falls out and makes you or someone else crash. Lost water bottles are every bit as dangerous as breaking a handlebar or seatpost.
In the worst case scenario but not in the average case. I've ran over plenty of fallen water bottles and not crashed. Broken handlebars are a whole other league with so much body weight on them.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I try to discourage supporting the whole counterfeiting economy. If there's any way to definitely know that they are fakes, I'd return them. Why support the bad guys over 20 grams?

·
Fat & Single
205 Posts
You can buy Arundel Mandible and Dave'O cages in lots of 10 from China for under $9 each, there is a seller on eBay.au who was flogging them off, 2 at a time every week as real... they are fake crap.

I would put bottle cages at the lower end of the 'fake carbon' risk scale but hey, I spend good cash on Arundel cages because I never loose a bottle on dirt, CX/gravel or road.

If you are buying them without the original packaging and nearly too good to be true prices, then I would be a suspicious.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You can buy Arundel Mandible and Dave'O cages in lots of 10 from China for under $9 each, there is a seller on eBay.au who was flogging them off, 2 at a time every week as real... they are fake crap.

I would put bottle cages at the lower end of the 'fake carbon' risk scale but hey, I spend good cash on Arundel cages because I never loose a bottle on dirt, CX/gravel or road.

If you are buying them without the original packaging and nearly too good to be true prices, then I would be a suspicious.
As I said before, packaging can be easily faked too. It's not proof in any way, just like the product itself.

As you said, price is the most likely sign, but not a guarantee either. About the only way to know is to buy from an authorized dealer at a "normal" price.

·
Fat & Single
205 Posts
As I said before, packaging can be easily faked too. It's not proof in any way, just like the product itself.

As you said, price is the most likely sign, but not a guarantee either. About the only way to know is to buy from an authorized dealer at a "normal" price.
Agreed, of course packaging can be copied too, and very well... got stung with some Maui Jim glasses a while back... but many of these companies copying the carbon components dont even bother to package the stuff and pretend its real, they sell it on as fake and cheap... its the scumbag who buys it off them who tries to pedal some cash by pretending it was a take off.

All I'm saying is if its brand new, with no packaging and the price is too good to be true, then take it as fake.

Reactions: Chader09

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Just go look on dhgate or aliexpress. You will see them, with packaging, for like $10 each. If you want the counterfeits, buy them there yourself. 100% file a claim against the ebay asshat, he can go pound sand and shove it up his ass too.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Yea, if you think about it, buying a 'new' item on ebay, or wherever, that is significantly cheaper than the real deal, you really can't be too surprised or angry when it turns out the item might be fake.

The old cliche "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't..." holds water here..

Now, if you buy something through a legitimate retailer, brick and mortar or online, and the item turns out to be fake, that is something to rant about...

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Just go look on dhgate or aliexpress. You will see them, with packaging, for like $10 each. If you want the counterfeits, buy them there yourself. 100% file a claim against the ebay asshat, he can go pound sand and shove it up his ass too.
You have a point. I you want to buy fake stuff, why overpay on a place like eBay? Go to the sites above and get a better deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts