Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see these ebay deals of a lifetime popping up everyday, with ads such as 06 Trek 5.9 Brand New, Any Size $1150 buy it now. It's tempting but nothing is for free, so I'm really sceptical.

The sellers have perfect scores but I notice them selling items for $5,$2 maybe to get good reviews and then put something for $1000 to set everyone up and then bail out

Thoughts are appreciated to help save a newbie like myself and others from being ripped off

Thank You

Please check ebay and see them for yourself, theyre up there today again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I emailed him and this is the response for a Brand New Trek 5.9....$1000 Shipped. Hard to believe

Hello
You don't have to bid if you want to buy it now
First I want to tell you that my item is brand new ,
all accessories included and also an international warranty.
The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My buy it now price is the best you could get: 1000usd/unit, including the
shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package
will be delivered from Europe.
As delivery service we use UPS2days air service (with insurance and
15 days return policy), because it's the faster. And if you will have
a quick delivery, we must also have a quick payment. So that's why we
use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest and
also very secure way of sending money.
So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure
that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now,

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
what do those sell for new? (retail, and also on sale).

seems sketchy to me. I think I read somewhere western union payments are more likely to be used by scammers (but I'm not sure how this conclusion was made, and I may be imagining things). The scammers tend to avoid paypal I think.

·
Registered
46 Posts
sounds fishy to me

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. I see three red flags.

1) International warranty - what is that? warranties are usually limited to a certain region (e.g., North America, Europe, etc.)
2) Seller seems to be in a hurry to get a deal done.
3) Is Western Union the only accepted method of payment?

·
In-House Counsel
579 Posts
Check out the Scam Warnings forum. I posted some things regarding these too good to be true Trek 5.9 auctions. I'd give it a 99% chance of being a fraud. Do everyone a favor and report the auction to Ebay.

HBPUNK said:
I emailed him and this is the response for a Brand New Trek 5.9....$1000 Shipped. Hard to believe

Hello
You don't have to bid if you want to buy it now
First I want to tell you that my item is brand new ,
all accessories included and also an international warranty.
The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My buy it now price is the best you could get: 1000usd/unit, including the
shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package
will be delivered from Europe.
As delivery service we use UPS2days air service (with insurance and
15 days return policy), because it's the faster. And if you will have
a quick delivery, we must also have a quick payment. So that's why we
use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest and
also very secure way of sending money.
So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure
that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now,

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Of couse it's a fraud........These types of auctions are around all the time...If it sounds to good to be true, it is........Stay away or you'll throw $1150 away..

By the way, UPS shipping from Europe is around $250 so this guy is selling an 06 Trek 5.9 for $750?

scam scam scam

·
Registered
372 Posts
The seller account may be hijacked.

If the seller is demanding western union, rather than the norm of paypal. I wouldn't trust this deal.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Complete fraud.

A Western Union money transfer money leaves no personal identification paper trail. All you know about the person you're sending money to is what that person tells you.

Let's say you're told to send $ 1,150 to someone named Edward Merks in London via Western Union. No emails, no bike after a week. You call Western Union and all they can tell you that, yes, a person named Edward Merks picked up $ 1,150 in one of their London offices. Western Union did not know and had no way of knowing that "Edward Merks" was a fake name on a fake ID.

First rule of Western Union money transfers: know the person you're sending money to.

·
Banned
476 Posts
do not even think about it!

this is a scam to rip you off
you are a fool if you do it - that simple

the sellers on ebay that sell bikes at low prices have tons of feedbacks where they have sold tons of bikes; and they will all take paypal or credit cards

never send cash or western union

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hijacked User Id

I would bet you that it’s a hijacked user ID, does the test say to contact them at an email address that is different then the sellers address. Send the true user id an email with in EBAY and ask them if they have this bike or if someone has hijacked their ID. You will be doing them a big favor, I know as it happed to me and I did not know about until the poor sap was out the 1500.00 and a complaint was filed.

·
Registered
602 Posts
total scam. stay away!

If even ONE red flag flies I'd stay away. If more than one red flag flies it IS fraudulent and I report it to Ebay as such.

fwiw- I've personally halted roughly 30 fraudulent Ebay auctions for Madone's alone. I was in the market recently and staked the 'Madone' section of Ebay as my own territory. I took it personal when some loser tried to post scams.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Of course it's a scam. And, BTW, there is no Easter bunny or tooth fairy, either.......

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM.

<b>NEVER EVER</b> use Western Union on Ebay. If they won't take Paypal, don't bother. And, I feel, for a high-end item like a frame, if it's not from the US (or maybe Canada), don't bother.

·
Cycling Boob
844 Posts
check the other stuff the seller is selling. if this is like the only bcycling related product in his inventory then that's a red flag. Also if the seller's name is pantyshop and he's selling a bike then that's another red flag of hijacking. If the feedback forum has only one or no feedback which you could click to find out what item the seller bidded on, that definitely is a hijack.

all in all, he's a douche

·
Registered
495 Posts
These guys are funny, unfortunately the guy who falls for it won't be laughing. I can guarantee you 100% it's a scam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts