Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would you do ?

Bought a cassette from a ebay cycling store and there where sevral bidders. I won the item and it was about $30 less than similar items listed elsewhere.

Seller contacts me after the auction ends and says " they do not have the item in stock sorry " they then say they will mark the item paid so I do'nt have to worry ?

My thought is they conveniently figured this out after they did not fetch the price they hoped ? Does this happen a lot to others ?

Thanks

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
That's pretty outrageous, really. In addition to bad feeback, I'd file a complaint with eBay. I can't believe that it isn't a violation of TOS to list an item for sale that you don't have.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Anthony said:
what would you do ?

Bought a cassette from a ebay cycling store and there where sevral bidders. I won the item and it was about $30 less than similar items listed elsewhere.

Seller contacts me after the auction ends and says " they do not have the item in stock sorry " they then say they will mark the item paid so I do'nt have to worry ?

My thought is they conveniently figured this out after they did not fetch the price they hoped ? Does this happen a lot to others ?

Thanks
if they're selling a lot of items, it's not implausible that they wrongly thought they had your cassette in stock. ask them nicely if they're willing to order it for you at the price you paid. if not, it's negative feedback and report to ebay time. one such incident is not going to get them delisted, though - it could easily have been an honest mistake, after all.

I don't know what you mean when you say "they will mark the item paid so I don't have to worry." as far as ebay goes, they are the ones who have to worry.

by the way, you haven't already paid them, correct?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
weiwentg said:
if they're selling a lot of items, it's not implausible that they wrongly thought they had your cassette in stock. ask them nicely if they're willing to order it for you at the price you paid. if not, it's negative feedback and report to ebay time. one such incident is not going to get them delisted, though - it could easily have been an honest mistake, after all.

I don't know what you mean when you say "they will mark the item paid so I don't have to worry." as far as ebay goes, they are the ones who have to worry.

by the way, you haven't already paid them, correct?

yeah, sometimes it happens... but what you can do is keep an eye on their auctions and stock, and if/when the same cassette comes up you will know for sure (any maybe try to get it at your winning bid price)

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Anthony said:
what would you do ?

Thanks
Near as I can tell ebay couldn't care less. I won two 7800 DA rear hubs from thebargainpeddler for $60 each (+ $7 shipping) on a Buy It Now and paid immediately with PayPal. They refunded my money and said, "Sorry not in stock". I can find no way to report this to ebay as long as they returned the money. I guess ebay got paid...

TF

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I would just chalk it up to "that's eBay" and let it go.

They aren't SUPPOSED to do a thing like that -- you can't list an item that you don't have -- but there's no real way to prove / enforce it. It's annoying, eh?

·
Banned
476 Posts
they could get you one

if the seller cares about their business; they could get you one; since it it a new item
if it were collectable and one of a kind - that is one thing

but this is an item they can get more of is my guess

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
This was not intentional

collectorvelo said:
if the seller cares about their business; they could get you one; since it it a new item
if it were collectable and one of a kind - that is one thing

but this is an item they can get more of is my guess

This is obviously a mistake. They don't make money by listing, paying fees and not selling anything. I would not use negative feedback unless it was more serious than an inconvenience, but that's me.

If you were a regular customer they would probably attempt to source it but then on ebay it's hard to have a relationship between buyer and seller.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Chainstay said:
This is obviously a mistake. They don't make money by listing, paying fees and not selling anything. I would not use negative feedback unless it was more serious than an inconvenience, but that's me.

If you were a regular customer they would probably attempt to source it but then on ebay it's hard to have a relationship between buyer and seller.
The mistake was that it didn't sell for as much as they wanted. They backed out on their side of the 'contract'. Negative feedback should be the minimum. If I 'accidently' bid too much, I am required to pay. - TF

·
Registered
24 Posts
Feedback

It would be my guess that they made an honest mistake, as was already said, they make no money listing items they don't have and paying fees. The problem with the feedback system is if you leave negative, they can do the same even though you were justified. I would see if they could get you one at the auction price. If they can't, don't do business with them again. Lots of great sellers on Ebay!

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Just give a "neutral feedback" stating that the seller listed an item which they did not have, and that money was refunded. If they do this a lot and everybody who has a similar experience does the same, their business will soon be defunct.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Anthony said:
what would you do ?

Thanks
Update on my "not in stock" with thebargainpeddler. Disappeared soon after and is no longer selling on eBay (at least not as that seller). After over 6700 feedbacks - gone. - TF

·
Registered
484 Posts
What some of the larger sellers on ebay do is list items they do not have but can get on a short lead time 2 days or so. They then run a lot of auctions on the item or do a multiple item auction. After they sell the items they use the money the bidders paid them to order the parts they already sold and get a quantity discount or bike shop wholesale price. Many accessories and parts are in the 50 to 100% mark up range so they can sell crazy cheap and still make a profit on quantity. Some suppliers have minimum buys of $700 or so depending on the item but anyone that buys their minimum quantity can buy from them. Most of the time the bidders are none the wiser but on occasion their distributor is out of stock and they get caught out and have to explain that they don't actually have the item.

·
hairy-legged roadie
231 Posts
Right on man

Thommy said:
your local bicycle swap-meet.
This sounds retrospective, but its not hard to show up at your lbs and let 'em know if a used casette comes through, to give you a holler. Or show up at your local ride and ask around, etc. Check local listings!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts