1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
what's so special about that? you'll see one every day in Walmarts across America........

·
Registered
797 Posts
Some us in the BMX world did experiment with the break calipers monted on the back side of the fork.... The thought was that they would be less prone to breaking off.
When you think about it, it sort of makse scence. Here's the thery..... When you pull the break, the rotation of the wheel pulls the break forward into nothingness. By mounting them behind the fork, when the rotation of the wheel pulls on the break, it actuly pushes it into the back of the fork, thus the fork makes a kind of brace for the arms of the caliper.
However,,, A neighbor of mine tryed this, and one day the center-bolt snaped off, and the whole deal wedged it's self in betwen the fork and the wheel, causing the poor guy to do his "Super Man impresion".....

·
Registered
23 Posts
My friend bought a walmart bike, put it together himself, and did this same thing. He crashed about 5 times riding it to and from campus in one day.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Can you imagine riding in your group and someone on this trainwreck asks to ride with you....

How did he get through 2 "mini" Tri's without someone clueing him in. With the nose of the saddle pointing at the sky, maybe he didn't have a line of sight in front of him:eek:

·
What the Hell is going on
5,015 Posts
A famous frame builder

Visitor302 said:
Some us in the BMX world did experiment with the break calipers monted on the back side of the fork.... The thought was that they would be less prone to breaking off.
When you think about it, it sort of makse scence. Here's the thery..... When you pull the break, the rotation of the wheel pulls the break forward into nothingness. By mounting them behind the fork, when the rotation of the wheel pulls on the break, it actuly pushes it into the back of the fork, thus the fork makes a kind of brace for the arms of the caliper.
However,,, A neighbor of mine tryed this, and one day the center-bolt snaped off, and the whole deal wedged it's self in betwen the fork and the wheel, causing the poor guy to do his "Super Man impresion".....
There's a frame builder from Philly (I believe) who fashoins the rear brake caliper in this fashion. I can't remember his name but I think it was something like Hoovian.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Brits used to do it

I remember seeing several Brit T T bikes in the '70s with the brakes behind the forks.
I think Dave Lloyd ( if I remember properly he rode for Team Raleigh at one stage) had a bike like that.

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
Actually, it puts the front brake in the same relative position as the rear brake. The frame has to be designed to accomodate the brake as it clearly is on that BH. Of course, I don't think that was quite the intention or the design with that GMC. More dangerous yet, I'm pretty sure that I read they have split handlebars!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bwana said:
Actually, it puts the front brake in the same relative position as the rear brake. The frame has to be designed to accomodate the brake as it clearly is on that BH. Of course, I don't think that was quite the intention or the design with that GMC. More dangerous yet, I'm pretty sure that I read they have split handlebars!

Yes this is the famous Walmart split handlebar & gripshift bike. They split the handlebar to put the 7 speed gripshifts on the bars. I've seen several mountain bikes in local Walmarts & Dick's sporting goods with the bars on upside down or backwards. I've even seen a backwards fork in an ad or two in the paper. That's why I go to the LBS...

·
Registered
83 Posts
JaeP said:
There's a frame builder from Philly (I believe) who fashoins the rear brake caliper in this fashion. I can't remember his name but I think it was something like Hoovian.
Harry Havnoonian. Local Philly frame builder. He has some intresting designs.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I just have to bring this old thread back to life. Does it ever cross your mind that OTHER things Wal mart sells might be faulty, or bad, but we just don't know about it, because we're not enthusiasts or educated in that product? For instance, I doubt someone who is very skilled at computers or is a computer afficiando would buy a PC from Wal Mart, right? Same with a cyclist, we wouldn't buy a GMC bike.

Split handlebars....wow....I think some things were designed by trial lawyers for the benefit of creating more business..

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Lets not forget the brake pads will do everything in their power to try and remove themselves from the brake shoes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
But imagine the increased stability of a bike with little or negative fork rake.... I wonder if I could ride it no handed, no legged and blind folded....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts