Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really odd experience try to get set of Speedplay zero chome-Moly on EBay. So far I've bidded on 4 serperate set of pedals. Two of them got cancel (which I lead with a high bid of $76 and $78) and the another went over what most online reseller are selling them for ($131 and $136). There's another set with 4 day left and it's at $130 already.

Are speedplays that hard to come by? Why do they command more the retail price on Ebay?

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
eBay and logic do not always go together. I have sold plenty of used items at or near retail. I think people get bidder fever and do weird stuff. Speedplays are also popular so I wouldn't hold your breath for a deal.

·
More carbon fiber please!
797 Posts
Just Snipe is your friend. Never bid any other way unless it's a BIN I want. Or, if I see something interesting I'll message the seller and see if they're willing to deal, and fast. I'm pretty certain the poor guy who'd had his $350 bid with a couple days left to go on the mint TCR Advanced frameset was sick when he went back and found the listing ended due to the item no longer being available. It's worthwhile to ask and make offers.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Isn't that illegal?

I ended up buying my Speedplays from Competitive cyclist... Couldn't find them cheaper at the time.. and Performancebike's 15% discount would not apply to them. I think Speedplay has the market locked on their pricing.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZoSoSwiM said:
Isn't that illegal?
Isn't what illegal? Selling SpeedPlay on EBay?

ZoSoSwiM said:
I ended up buying my Speedplays from Competitive cyclist... Couldn't find them cheaper at the time.. and Performancebike's 15% discount would not apply to them. I think Speedplay has the market locked on their pricing.
I have a 15% discount coupon (which I was going to use for Speedplays) and the fine print only excludes bikes, frames, Spin Doctor Performance Service Plans, gift cards, Team Performance membership or renewals, or sales tax. I don't see how Speedplays would fall into any of those categories.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Speedplay heavily polices their price-control policies, not allowing any retailer to offer their products online at a discount, closeout, etc -- and yanking the accounts of people who do.

Add that to the fact that they are pedals with a fairly long life, and you get an increased demand for the smallish used market.

Jett said:
Isn't what illegal? Selling SpeedPlay on EBay?

I have a 15% discount coupon (which I was going to use for Speedplays) and the fine print only excludes bikes, frames, Spin Doctor Performance Service Plans, gift cards, Team Performance membership or renewals, or sales tax. I don't see how Speedplays would fall into any of those categories.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I meant talking about selling the ebay item outside of ebay.. I was under the impression is was illegal.

Selling speedplay pedals is certainly allowed.

As for the 15% off coupons.. When I bought my pedals I had a coupon for 15% off any item. I tried buying just a pair of Chromoly Zero pedals. The discount simply would not apply to them. No matter what combo of items I did. In the end I gave up and got everything from Competitive.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Yanking from ebay

Yes, it's against eBay policy to list an item, but then sell it outside of ebay and cancel the listing -- after all, it makes eBay lose their cut, which has been increased to somethign like 10%!

There's also the concerns about fraud, and the loss of legitimacy to the auction process.

Selling Speedplay, well, ebay allows it, but no authorized reseller of Speedplay is allowed to do it.

This is the case with many bits of sporting goods, actually, but some police it more aggressively than others -- Speedplay is in the "more."

ZoSoSwiM said:
I meant talking about selling the ebay item outside of ebay.. I was under the impression is was illegal.

Selling speedplay pedals is certainly allowed.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Argentius said:
Speedplay heavily polices their price-control policies, not allowing any retailer to offer their products online at a discount, closeout, etc -- and yanking the accounts of people who do.

Add that to the fact that they are pedals with a fairly long life, and you get an increased demand for the smallish used market.
My Performance coupon is for in-store only. Do you know if Speedplay allows discount on their products in old fashion brink and mortar stores?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Yes*

Jett said:
My Performance coupon is for in-store only. Do you know if Speedplay allows discount on their products in old fashion brink and mortar stores?
I am not sure what Speedplay's OFFICIAL policy is on this, but I have received coupon discounts like this from Performance, REI, whatever, with no trouble.

It is not like clothing stores, whose discount coupons frequently exclude specific highend brands.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I just sold a "like new" set of stainless steel Zeros with cleats on fleabay for $127. I didn't think I'd get more than $100. Earlier, I sold a pair of brand new Look Keo Carbon pedals for $177. Then I practically gave away a Modolo carbon stem for $17.50!!! I thought it would fetch at least $60. Sold a practically new $300 MSRP Modolo Curvissima KX carbon bar for $80!! I think I could have sold them to an another forum's members for more than I got on fleabay. Just goes to show how crazy the bid wars can get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.