Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I generally don't buy team kit cycling clothes, but I really like the SKY team kits. I found some really cheap bib and jersey kits on Ebay (out of Asia), but I'm suspicious that this is not the same as the Adidas/Nalini kits being sold on World Cycling Production and ProBikeKit websites. There are subtle visual differences in the kits.

Are these cheap knockoffs or a previous season's kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SKY-CYCLING-JERSEY-BIB-SHORTS-SIZE-M-XXL-/330452034459?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Men_s_Athletic_Apparel&hash=item4cf079e39b

·
Registered
950 Posts
I observed the "real" Team Sky kits during today's stage (12). The have black, see-thru panels that look like hooker hose. Buy the knock-offs.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I own both a Knock off HTC kit from Ebay and I also bought a HTC Jersey from PBK... From my experience the Bibs from Ebay are not worth $10.. The Jersey on the other hand isn't bad. I still think the Genuine stuff is better but at almost double if not more than an Ebay jersey.. The Chamois on my Ebay kit was horrible.. I would buy another Jersey from Ebay but they can keep the bibs... YMMV...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've purchased two knockoff jerseys from ebay last year. One uses an ok fabric, not the best but pretty good, while the other is made from a very high tech fabric that is perfect for summer riding.
I have been wearing them for a year and they are both holding up very well. They still look brand new and the construction is of good quality.
They came in a reasonable time considering shipping from China.
I'd buy another one.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Screw it. I bit the bullet. I've spent way more on expensive cycling kits and bib shorts that were absolute crap after the first ride. I doubt this kit will disappoint me as much as any of the Pearl Izumi and Castelli stuff I've bought.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Kai Winters said:
I've purchased two knockoff jerseys from ebay last year. One uses an ok fabric, not the best but pretty good, while the other is made from a very high tech fabric that is perfect for summer riding.
I have been wearing them for a year and they are both holding up very well. They still look brand new and the construction is of good quality.
They came in a reasonable time considering shipping from China.
I'd buy another one.
do you recall the seller that sold that piece?

·
9,925 Posts
So, it's okay to buy a known counterfeit product if you're getting a good deal?

It would be okay for e-machines to make and sell "Mac"s as long as the price was great?

I really don't understand people sometimes...

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
PlatyPius said:
So, it's okay to buy a known counterfeit product if you're getting a good deal?

It would be okay for e-machines to make and sell "Mac"s as long as the price was great?

I really don't understand people sometimes...
Another perspective ... Is it OK for bike apparel/component dealers to charge outrageous prices for jerseys? The typical jersey now costs about $100 retail (or more). A few years ago, you could buy top jerseys for about $60. Despite the recession, prices for bike clothes/gear keep going up, but most of us are not getting pay raises -- if we are lucky to still have a job.

If knock-off jerseys help drive down the ridiculous prices for retail gear, I am all for it. We aren't all made of money.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Another perspective ... Is it OK for bike apparel/component dealers to charge outrageous prices for jerseys? The typical jersey now costs about $100 retail (or more). A few years ago, you could buy top jerseys for about $60. Despite the recession, prices for bike clothes/gear keep going up, but most of us are not getting pay raises -- if we are lucky to still have a job.

If knock-off jerseys help drive down the ridiculous prices for retail gear, I am all for it. We aren't all made of money.
The scales of justice just tipped to the bad guys. I haven't paid full retail for a bike jersey in years and yet I have the "real" deals. Buy closeouts in Fall, buy used on eBay, go to swap meets, go to the outlets, but don't buy clothes that take money out of the pockets of Americans. Conterfeiting is illegal. How hard is it to understand that?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.