Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are a lot of good deals on cyclings products on ebay from companies in china or russia has anyone ever bought from thme if so any problems. these companies have very good customer ratings but im still a little worried about buying stuff from a company in another country. i know the shipping costs are very high but there are still good deals

·
Registered
153 Posts
Some links?

by666 said:
there are a lot of good deals on cyclings products on ebay from companies in china or russia has anyone ever bought from thme if so any problems. these companies have very good customer ratings but im still a little worried about buying stuff from a company in another country. i know the shipping costs are very high but there are still good deals
What are the sellers? Can you provide links?

On their feedback pages, check what the items are that they previously sold. If it's bike stuff and the feedback is positive, you're probably OK. If all the priors are non-bike and they're suddenly selling lots of expensive bike stuff at steep discount, it's probably a hijacked account.

·
hairy-legged roadie
231 Posts
not surprising

by666 said:
But what will surprise is you is that though they're inexpensive, they're also cheap. I'm a college student and don't have lots of $$. Local listings / getting to know my LBS helped immensely. eBay is not your primary option for good deals on cycling products coz though parts may be cheaper, shipping charges, time, and messed-up orders (bound to happen sooner or later) aren't fun. If you're talking frames, they're usually not very light and are ugly. To give perspective on local listings, in the past 3 months, I picked up a Klein Mantra Carbon Race with King hubs, thomson bits, Hayes hydros, and all 9spd XT for $200 (NOT $2000). I also recently picked up a Moser M76 frame/fork/HS for $200 (worth $1000). Both were in excellent condition and no shipping charges either. Be smart, keep your eyes open and don't trust eBay with components you have doubts about or will spend lots of $$ on. A doubtful frame breaking at high speed=deep doo.

BTW, these companies are new so you'll find few long-term use reviews of any of their items. For a primary bike and one I could be proud of, I'd go with a quality bike-maker.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
mness said:
What are the sellers? Can you provide links?

On their feedback pages, check what the items are that they previously sold. If it's bike stuff and the feedback is positive, you're probably OK. If all the priors are non-bike and they're suddenly selling lots of expensive bike stuff at steep discount, it's probably a hijacked account.
+1, this is excellent advice. To add a little, if the seller has any high end computer or stereo equipment for sale, be very wary. I see a lot of Apple G5's for sale on hijacked accounts.

Also, dormant accounts are often hijacked. If the seller had like 900 sales with 99% feedback, but none in the last 3 months, be careful.

·
RoadBikeReview Member
8 Posts
As the others have noted, it is important to research the seller, their past transaction feedback and ID history. I’ve received several items from other countries through eBay / PayPal without problems. With the exception of one mangled package (the contents were ok), everything went smoothly. I do however make certain the seller is certified through PayPal and does not only deal in bank or instant wire transfers.

You might also try a search under the Classifieds Feedback – Scam Warnings area and eBay’s help forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts