Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody made plans for a ride into the path of the eclipse? If so, let's hear what you've got planned! To say that you don't get this opportunity very often is an understatement for sure.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
House is in the path of totality...Although I'm thinking of riding south to be in the dead middle...also just to say I rode during a solar eclipse. Normally I'm not out and about at peak UV, but I think I'll make an exception.

2 years back I completely-by-accident did a long commute ride during a complete lunar eclipse at 6AM and it was sweet.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
We're taking a scientific approach in EugenE, OR. Here is what our ride description says:

"Meet 6:00AM Alton Baker Park - Ride to someplace near Brownsville to stake out some flat land toview the total eclipse. Bring lights, reflective gear and eclipse viewing glasses. "

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
2.5 minutes of totality. With the mania on the roads that everyone is predicting around here, I'll be doing my ride very early in the morning.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We're riding out on trails to avoid traffic. I suggest someplace with trees nearby so you can appreciate the eeriness of the shadows through the leaves before totality.

Hoping for clear skies.

Dancer

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
Just be sure to cover your helmet with tin foil, you may think it's the moon up there but it could be the mother ship.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
We've got a semi-large contingent that are going to do a gravel climb that goes from 2k elevation to 5k in about 15 miles. Where we're at (Southeast TN), we'll get 2 min. 38 sec of totality, which is within 2 seconds of that max on our continent. I think with our gravel plans and clever logistics, we'll avoid a lot of traffic and people.

I am totally stoked for this. Extended weather forecast doesn't look great in our area. If the skies are clear it's supposed to be an incredible show. Nonetheless, it's still gonna get dark for over 2 minutes.

I think there are two other eclipse threads floating around....

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I'm guessing that lots of people will have amazing footage and pictures and stuff.

I'm also guessing the roads will be filled with complete morons.

I'm not seeing any need to go out there and risk anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts