Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I ride?

There are cheaper ways to exercise, there are faster ways to get to work, there are safer ways to get my daughter to daycare. By almost every metric, cycling is a loser. It's expensive- I spend far more a year on bike stuff than on car stuff, it takes a ton of time, it's not nearly as efficient a workout as running, it's dangerous and slow.

But I love it. I put my daughter in the trailer, hooked up to a bike that's really not geared for pulling a trailer, hop on the bike and I start smiling. Pulling fifty or so pounds down the driveway wakes me up. I smile at the guy with the little dog that walks by almost every morning at the same time I leave. I hear my daughter chattering away in the trailer- "No bumpity roads today, Daddy!" We make our way through suburban streets, city streets and bike paths, I drop her off and head to work.

And after another weird day at the office it's nice to change out of my work clothes, hop on my bike and head home. Even if it's raining, Even if it's cold or dark, even though it takes an extra 20 minutes to get home by bike I still would rather ride than drive.

It's that hour or so a couple times a week that I really get to feel like myself.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
buck-50 said:
It's that hour or so a couple times a week that I really get to feel like myself.
In my mind this is the answer to your question.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
I ride, because as a mechanical engineer I get a kick out of the efficiency of the thing. Why do we use 50,000 pounds of truck to move 30,000 pounds of freight? Why do we use 4000 pounds of vehicle to move 400 pounds of people? I can take a 40 pound bike, and move myself and whatever I need, and get there much faster than walking. Here's a mchine that can move many multiples of its own weight. What's not to like about that?

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Old but good:

A Bike Zen Koan

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students:
"Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant 'nam myoho renge kyo'." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am your disciple."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts