Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to riding and would like to build my own fixie.
What's the scoop on frames?,
What can be had for under $500.00? (way under $500)

Cheers

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
If you don't want new, you can find any old road frame with horizonatal drop-outs and convert it with ease. I got my current one for $75-whole bike. All I needed was a rear wheel/hub for the fixie (hubs can be had for less than $100) and the cog-less than $30 for a good one. You're out the door with considerably less than $500.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Beantown said:

Cheers
Fixie frames can be found at any garage sale or flee market. Look for an older 70-80's steel frame with horizontal dropouts. $10-25 for a complete bike

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
I'm glad you posted that pic.

I was wondering if anyone had their wheel hanging on as precariously as mine;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beantown said:

Cheers

Okay, here's a fixer frame for WAY under $500 brand new. Go to eBay and search for the terms "frameset 700c Shimano Nexus alum 54cm"... [sorry, I'm brand new to this forum so I don't know the software at all yet].

This is a "comfort bike" frame. It's stiffer'n hell despite the lack of a toptube. I live a few miles from this guy's shop, and I went in person to pick it up. I feel sort of cheated that I paid $50 for the frame... now he's down to $29 !!

The seller (Peter) says the size is an effective 54cm, but it seems to me to be something like a 56cm or so. Lots of parts come with it... so all you have to add is wheels and a drivetrain. The frame itself weighs about 5 lbs.

[Edited later to add more details:] The pink color currently shown on eBay is actually quite nice. I chose the other color (an eyepopping yellow). The built-up bike is very unique-looking with a cowhorn bar. It has a long wheelbase.

The fork has fittings for a Nexus brake. I fitted a modern caliper brake instead. The frame has fittings for the Nexus rear hub, meaning the dropout is horizontal. Now that I finally have a Dremel tool, I may get around to chopping all these fittings off. I smile every time I see the bike.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tell me more!

joe friday said:
i've got a frame that would be ok for fixed gear. it measures about 55cm TT and ST
it's lugged but it's made with "shopping cart" steel. $15 and it's yours.
What's it weigh?
Where are you located?

·
Non non normal
10,154 Posts
What size are you looking for? I am getting ready to sell a 63cm completed fixed gear which doesn't fit just right (top tube not long enough for me).

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is the TT length?

bigrider said:
What size are you looking for? I am getting ready to sell a 63cm completed fixed gear which doesn't fit just right (top tube not long enough for me).
Big--

I might be interested, but I don't need the whole bike. I have a Raleigh Gran Prix fixie/ss that the TT is way too short for me, and I'm looking for a frame to swap the parts onto. I'm looking for something around a 60-61 cm TT length, that will also accept fenders and a rear rack. Would you be interested in selling only the frame/fork/headset? If you're amenable, email me.

Larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.