Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After looking at this, I know the more hardcore on this forum will quickly reject this - and probably rightfully so, but I was wondering between the Cervelo Soloist Team (Ultegra) and the Cannondale CAAD 9 5 (105-base), is it really worth the $2200 v. the $1300 difference? I'm trying to decide, as broke as I am, if it's that much better - have an LBS who might be able to upgrade the C-Dale to Ultegra if I really want as I'm getting tons of other accessories from them as well. How would both hold up for a bigger (6'2''/200 lb) guy - and is there anything else that I might consider in the same price range: $1300-$1600?

Also, is there any logic to holding off buying either for a month or two in light of the 2009 releases in hopes that there's a sale? Everyone is telling me that the new models will be 20% more expensive this upcoming season, but I don't know if that necessarily means that the 2008s won't go on sale.

Thoughts? Thanks!

· Registered
8,252 Posts
As far as the drive train goes...most likely, you won't notice any difference. I have Ultegra 10 speed on one bike and 105 10 speed on another and there is no noticeable difference between the two performance wise. The Ultegra is a bit lighter, but that's really the only difference.

As far as the frames go, you could see a difference there...but for most people the ride quality of the frame will be effected more by the amount of air pressure you run in your tires than the frame it's self.

Wheels will be the area you might notice things the most, assuming the Cervelo comes with better wheels than the Cannondale...which at these price points isn't always the case.

In the end pick the one that fits and feels the best to you. You might be able to wait and get one on sale...but if you miss out on one that fits you...you could end up paying more next year as bike prices are expected to make a pretty big jump.

For what it's worth...my race bike is a Scott S20 with 105 components and Neuvation M28 Aero 2 wheels. It comes in around 19.5 pounds and works just fine against the other guys $5,000 15 pounds bikes.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
It's important to buy the bike that you can afford. You need to test ride both bikes. It might also be nice to buy the bike that is better looking. Generally speaking, the Cannondale paint might not be as flashy looking as the Cervelo. I ride CAAD 9, but it came with a Sram grouppo, custom setup, custom paint.

· Registered
252 Posts
I would agree with what has already been said. I think the Cervelo is overpriced as an aluminum frame. One could find a good carbon bike near that price. So look at the CAAD9 and think about upgrading the wheels, and maybe a couple of other things like carbon bars and seat post to help absorb road shock, and maybe a more comfy saddle. I have a CAAD8 and it is great.

Other models to consider would be Trek, Scott and Specialized.

· Registered
348 Posts
A friend last December bought a Team Soloist for $1400 from an out of state bike shop. She absolutely loves the bike and says it's a huge upgrade over her Cannondale bike. I think if you shop you'll find the Team Soloist at a better price than $2200.

· Gruntled
3,775 Posts
How are you fixed for shoes, shorts, helmet, and sunglasses? IMHO, those are all things that will affect your riding experience as much or more than a frame / drivetrain upgrade. If your budget is limited, I would get the cheaper bike to allow for better shorts & shoes.

· Registered
361 Posts
CAAD9 is at the pinnacle of aluminum design. CAAD8 is an all out race bike, CAAD 9's further refinement stiffens the head tube section and at the same time made the bike slightly lighter than CAAD8. The curved seat stays contribute to good vertical compliance, it is tough to beat CAAd9 in terms of all out performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.