Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried this boiled in salt water? A friend of mine swears by it as a great snack, but I can't find it anywhere. I can't even find a place to buy it online. And I waaaant some. [/whining]

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Gig 'em said:
Anyone tried this boiled in salt water? A friend of mine swears by it as a great snack, but I can't find it anywhere. I can't even find a place to buy it online. And I waaaant some. [/whining]
If you have Trader Joe's in your area, you should be able to find big bags of frozen ones that you can drop into boiling water.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Gig 'em said:
got some in my freeze if you want it.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mickey-mac said:
If you have Trader Joe's in your area, you should be able to find big bags of frozen ones that you can drop into boiling water.
We don't have Trader Joe's. I just went through the grocers in my phone book. Maybe Big Buck Food Mart #3 has some. :rolleyes:

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lousylegs said:
got some in my freeze if you want it.
Don't tease like that. :mad:

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
So how is it? review please.....

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zeytin said:
So how is it? review please.....
She says they're firm and buttery. A review I read says they taste similar to a lima bean but definitely firmer. I dunno first hand until Big Buck Food Mart starts carrying them.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Any Asian markets in town?

We buy 'em at Trader Joe's, too. My wife and daughter like them better than I do, but I'm a recovering french fry addict anyway. Try the Yellow Pages under "Asian" or maybe "Oriental," depending on how enlightened your area is.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read that you could buy them at Japanese food stores, but we only have one specialty food store here (small area) and it's Korean. Not to be asian-ignorant, but think they would have it? My initial reaction is to assume no, but I'm calling tomorrow to find out.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Most urban supermarkets carry them, and most... how can I put this delicately, areas more culturally sophisticated and diverse. Sam's Club has them, but not at the store in my area. They cant even be ordered through them. Albertson's generally has them, but not at the store here and again, they won't order them, either. People here are still skeptical of soy milk, much less something like edamame.

coughredneckscough

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Gig 'em said:
I read that you could buy them at Japanese food stores, but we only have one specialty food store here (small area) and it's Korean. Not to be asian-ignorant, but think they would have it? My initial reaction is to assume no, but I'm calling tomorrow to find out.
In Hawaii you used to be able to buy fresh stalks of edamame in the produce section. My father used to boil them up for us as an afternoon snack - but he always overcooked them. :rolleyes:

I'm suprised your market doesn't carry this. Most supermarket chains now have them in the frozen food cases. Might be a language thing. Try asking for frozen soybeans.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave_Stohler said:
Geez-it's just soy beans and salt. Any sushi place has it as a side for $2.
Which doesn't help me unless I feel like driving 15 miles to the nearest sushi place. I know what it is, I've seen it. I just never tried it and felt like whining a little because I can't seem to get it here.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
jaseone said:
edamame = fancy name for soy bean
exactly

theyre good but if you eat too many youll get an upset stomach. theyre fun to eat and munch on though.

ps. did you get your bike?

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The name Harris Teeter still makes me chuckle. I'm not sure why, must be the 5 year old in me. Haven't seen one of those since I lived in La Jolla.

I'll check out Publix tomorrow for sure. If anyone has it here, it would probably be them. It shouldn't be so hard to get a bean.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Thats just wrong

Gig 'em said:
She says they're firm and buttery. A review I read says they taste similar to a lima bean but definitely firmer. I dunno first hand until Big Buck Food Mart starts carrying them.
Beware they are addictive and dont taste anything like Lima beans. I can eat piles of the little suckers. We have them in our grocery food section, it will say soybeans or edamame. In fact, I know you can get them at Cosco in 5lb bags. Honestly, Id rather eat them than popcorn when watching flicks or a sporting game at home. My kid likes them too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts