Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
It's got a sloping top tube :frown2:

I don't think Merckx has anything to do with that company these days. He used to have a minor share, but I don't he even has that now.

I'll keep my re-sprayed 1996 Corsa 01. Plenty of real Eddy goodness still out there in the used market.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
He still holds a 6% share of the company, and reportedly is still active in operations.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
He still holds a 6% share of the company, and reportedly is still active in operations.
You sure? I swear I read somewhere that he sold off his small remaining share.

If that company thinks there's 70 people dumb enough to shell out $17k for a steel bike, they ought to start making more of them.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
You sure? I swear I read somewhere that he sold off his small remaining share.

If that company thinks there's 70 people dumb enough to shell out $17k for a steel bike, they ought to start making more of them.
Edit - oaky so I searched to check to see if anything changed, and it appears it has since I last checked. It is summarized in this thread. From other reports it appears that the changes noted in that there took place in March / April 2014. Eddy is reportedly no longer a shareholder, at all.

===============================================
Posted previously:

The last report I saw was from 2013 - I summarized it in the previous thread, here. . If he sold the rest, then it's news to me.

I don't think it will difficult to find 70 people to pay the price. This morning 32 were committed (50% deposit paid).

If they made and sold more, that would bring the value down - the old law of supply and demand still applies.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I didn't mean fancy/collector steel bikes. They ought to make steel framed bikes for everyday riders. I bet they'd sell.

From the Merckx part of this site:

Eddy sells remaining shares, and another new CEO for Eddy Merckx Cycles

Announcement today: Dutchman Rob Beset succeeds Kurt Moons as CEO of the well-known Belgium manufacturer of road race bikes. With Beset, Eddy Merckx Cycles enters a new phase aimed at ambition and growth.
"We strongly believe in the brand Eddy Merckx", said Bart Van Muylder CEO of majority shareholder Diepensteyn. "Moreover, cycling is still growing worldwide and that is why we invest in this company. Former CEO Kurt Moons laid a solid foundation for this ambition. Now we need to grow internationally, monitor our logistics and continue our product development strategy."

"Rob Beset is a manager with extensive product knowledge and vast experience in international distribution structures. He has more than 25 years of experience at Accell-group and Dremefa", said Van Muylder.

Van Muylder continues: "In the past 3.5 years Kurt Moons prepared Eddy Merckx Cycles for the future with the professionalization of the supply-chain, IT en R&D. This resulted in our high-end range with race bike including our flagship, the EMX-525.

Last week founder and road race legend Eddy Merckx sold his remaining 6 percent ownership to Diepensteyn, the holding company of Toye family. They also bought Kurt Moons 9 percent ownership of the resigning CEO. According to a report in the Gazet of Antwerp, Diepensteyn now holds 100% of Eddy Merckx Cycles.

Though Eddy Merkcx sold all his shares of the company he founded he will continue as brand ambassador and remain a strong involvement in product development and testing.

In the financial year 2012-2013 (running through end of June) Eddy Merckx Cycles had a total turnover of 6.2 million euro, but suffered a 2.4 million euro loss.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Yep - I linked that in my edit of an hour ago tothe post you replied to.

This is about making something special and unique. It's not meant for the general public. It's a splash, and little more. It will be interesting to see which way they want to go. In December their new CEO made a big deal about taking the company into international growth. It seems they want to become a significant player in cycling again. This may be one step in a journey. Can they do it? Not unless they can be the principal sponsor of a winning pro team.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's got a sloping top tube :frown2:

I don't think Merckx has anything to do with that company these days. He used to have a minor share, but I don't he even has that now.

I'll keep my re-sprayed 1996 Corsa 01. Plenty of real Eddy goodness still out there in the used market.
you got that right about the sloping top tube

1 - 9 of 9 Posts