Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this hasn't been poasted already:

Eddie is fantastically out of tune. It's been blamed on their recorded backing keyboard track being played at 48K instead of 44.1K, and it does sound a little high, but WTF? you can't tell if the bass is off, and Dave's more shouting than singing so it's hard to tell if he's off--he gets better as it goes on. But Eddie's completely out of whack from start to finish for sure. Is their in-ear monitor feed not coming from the same player as the house sound? Could Ed not hear himself and the keyboard track together? He doesn't act like he can tell anything's wrong.

·
Opus was just napping
21,675 Posts
When Eddie "jumps" (all of 6 inches off the ground) you can just hear his doctor yell! THE HIP!!!

The song really sounds off...and the band looks...well...spent.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
bass is off as well - it wasn't that horrible - i'm sure it could have gone much worse. it also sounds like the guy running the mix had the levels all f'd up. it's hard to mix live and it's real easy to push a mix. if i was there, i might have a different take on the matter.

·
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
asciibaron said:
bass is off as well - it wasn't that horrible - i'm sure it could have gone much worse. it also sounds like the guy running the mix had the levels all f'd up. it's hard to mix live and it's real easy to push a mix. if i was there, i might have a different take on the matter.
It's easy to imaging that a smuggled camcorder wouldn't provide good fidelity, so I wasn't surprised that the mix sucked. What amazed me was that nobody seemed to notice at all. Isn't Eddie supposed to be temperamental? Wouldn't he have thrown some kind of fit? Punched Dave? Something?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
He was probably drunk. He's playing in a totally different key. I wonder if the guitar tech messed up and handed him an alternate tuned guitar?

The original is down a bit from that though...he may have a point about the backing track:
it may be a combo of both. the backing track does seem high, but when it drops out for his solo, he still sounds amazingly tone deaf. And I saw a thread yesterday on a guitar forum where some guy's friend has been asked to be EVH's new uitar tech because of problems he's been having with his cuirrent one. I'll see if I can track it down.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
The synthesizer track is played at the wrong sampling rate, it's on a DAT tape
and it's at 48 khz instead of 44.1. You can hear it's just a little too quick and
goofily high-up in pitch but not so high that the band thought it might have been
the arena they were in.

I'm guessing the soundguy was pretty fired after that.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
One of two things should have happened.

1. The band should have recognized they were off key and stopped. Just like there is no shame in a chef refusing to serve bad food, there's no shame in a band stopping the music when it sounds bad. They must have had some clue if was off, because they were all hitting the marks. Just stop, apologize to the crowd for the F-up, and start over. It's not that big a deal. A frontman like Roth should be an expert at turning accidents like this into great memories for everyone there.

2. The sound guy should have pulled the plug. Literally. Pretend it is a technical glitch. The band won't be too happy, but so what? It's better to stop them and correct the problem than it is to let them sound so embarrassingly bad! Jeeze, back in the day, when these guys were playing backyards in Pasadena, I'm sure more than once, someone tripped over the extension cord and they lost all the juice. Somehow they got through it! They are supposed to be a party band!!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I think it's the guitar being in the wrong tune...lissen to this from the same concert...still flat--Poor Eddie...he sounds like he just learned to play guitar. This really sucks. I also think he was really, really, drunk--his timing is way off.

Thread on the speculation:

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/general-music-discussion/3394-van-halen-concert-reviews.html

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EkX35O7H3Jc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

·
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
I think it's the guitar being in the wrong tune...lissen to this from the same concert...still flat--Poor Eddie...he sounds like he just learned to play guitar. This really sucks. I also think he was really, really, drunk--his timing is way off.
That's the worst Van Halen cover band I've ever seen. Drummer's OK, but the rest of them suck.

Srsly--I have heard MUCH better playing in cover bands. I can't believe how bad Eddie's playing is, and the bass player (his son, right?) also played some major clinkers. Dave's just Dave. Take it or leave it. But that's some sh*tty guitar playing.

/not at all regretting my decision to stick with my "Nah, I saw them in '84" position vis-a-vis this tour.

//I don't think Ed's flat across the board, but he's definitely got tuning issues.

·
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
il sogno said:
They shoulda just hired a keyboard player.
I hear that. I said the same thing to our company prez who forwarded me the link.

Of course, I'm still stunned that nobody on stage (Eddie most of all) can tell there's a problem.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Of course, I'm still stunned that nobody on stage (Eddie most of all) can tell there's a problem.
if he was sh*tfaced drunk that might account for some of it.

·
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Dude: that thread is from 2004. There are references to Sammy and Michael Anthony, for crap sake.

You suck at the intarwebs. Get with the program--it's not a dumptruck, it's a series of tubes.
LOL...didn't notice that. I guess he was sucking even back then. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.