Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I've got an Eddy merckx MX Leader from 1996 in steel with columbus mxl-tubing. It's equipped with an 8 dura ace-group that is beginning to get really old(its from 1996)
I don't know if im going to fix the bike(new wires, maybe a new front derailleur) or buy a new shimano 105-group for the bike or if im going to buy a totally new bike.

I like the frame but its heavy. Its expensive with a new bike. Its fun with new stuff

I use the bike for training during the spring and autumn and race triathlon on it in the summer.

What do you think? Thoughts?
/Joel

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
Personally i'd fix that sucker up and ride it. Or sell it to me if its top tube is around 55-57 cm :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you do mostly tri... consider test riding a real tri bike and see if you like it. for that matter, i would test ride a new bike in your price range and see how you like it.

if your old bike fits well and you like it, i would just go for an overhaul at a good shop. new cables/housing... sometimes the shifters are fine and just need some lube/TLC.

if you arent in love with that bike, then get a new one!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
keep it

you can bury that frame with you when ya go. A Merckx MXL is a classic, built to last a lifetime plus.yeah it's heavy, but it produces a ride like butter. this was THE race bike of the laye 80's to mid 90's and was used by numerous pros to numerous victories (including Lance Armstrong World Championships and Fleche Wallone). What I'm saying here is it is a far better bike than most of us are riders as I doubt any of us will ever equal 90's era elite euro pro speed and fitness. So please keep that bike. these frames (MXL) hold their value quite well for a reason, PEOPL LOVE THEM and they last.
oh and yes regroup it, but please due to Eddy's close affiliation with Tulio, use campy!
just get a Centaur group

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Keep it. coble a 10 speed together. reuse the dura ace brakes. just get crank, bb, f-r derailluers and shifters. then get the lightest set of wheels you can afford. this should be your biggest expenditure. cool bike, holds its value well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with the Majority Report...

KEEP IT. That is a sensational bike. If you need to buy a Tri-bike, well so be it. But keep the MX Leader. It is one of the true Classic Frames. Put it in your will, give it to your kids.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Just replace the stuff that is worn out. That 8 speed stuff is pretty darn good. I'd be kind of suprised if the front der is worn out. I have a DA front der with something like 60k miles on it. Might just need new cables and housing and proper adjustment. Or maybe the brifters are goofed up? If you need to replace any other 8 speed DA stuff check out eBay.

The bike is a boat anchor by today's standard, but then it was a boat anchor by 90s standards, too.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would definetely keep the frame and upgrade the components. I went through the same dilemma with my '89 Bottecchia Lemond replica. Every bike shop I talked to said the same thing - "Yeah you can put new parts on your bike but in the end you're still just gonna have an old bike." I decided to do it anyway. I kept the frame and changed everything else out for newer stuff. I have not regretted my decision once. Those older Columbus steel road racing bikes are the origin of that classic steel ride that is so often referred to. Especially a classic Merckx. I have a lot of videos of European road races from the 90's and there are always Merckx bikes being ridden by some of the best riders, like the Motorola team and the Telekom team. And those riders are haulin' a** on those bikes. You can see them going up hills in the big chain ring with no problems. I often wonder what the acutal weight difference is between one of those older steel frames when compared to a newer steel frames. Two pounds maybe? I think for training and recreational riding it should not be an issue.

·
century rider
108 Posts
I would keep that frame. classic, smooth ride. have it repainted and add some newer stuff.like saddles, wheels and probably 9 or 10spd brifters.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
First of all keep it. Now, you have to admit that all the parts are not worn out right? Go ahead and admit it. Sure it could use new cables, tires, and brake pads, but that's about it. OK, go for a chain and bar tape too just to go nuts. Voila! A new bike.

Now, if you really want to update it just to do it, then go Campy on that one.

But you don't need to do anything, and you won't feel any of the upgrades other than new tires.

·
Registered
712 Posts
keep it period correct!

are you sure it is steel? you can tell with a magnet...

just foolin'.
your bike is a true time-capsule classic, the full and complete ensemble.
if you can swing it get an entirely modern ride and keep your mmmMXL for blasting into the past of the glorious early 90's!

joel.engstrom said:
Hello
I've got an Eddy merckx MX Leader from 1996 in steel with columbus mxl-tubing. It's equipped with an 8 dura ace-group that is beginning to get really old(its from 1996)
I don't know if im going to fix the bike(new wires, maybe a new front derailleur) or buy a new shimano 105-group for the bike or if im going to buy a totally new bike.

I like the frame but its heavy. Its expensive with a new bike. Its fun with new stuff

I use the bike for training during the spring and autumn and race triathlon on it in the summer.

What do you think? Thoughts?
/Joel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep it!

That's a sweet frame. Unless your racing to make a living who cares how heavy and if you do, buy a lighter bike and keep this one anyway. I think you would be sorry later if you dumped this bike.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
I concur, that bike is a classic!

I would upgrade the components sensibly and then splurge on a good wheelset.You'd be suprised how much of a difference a good light and laterally stiff set of wheels would make.I'm afraid,if you were to sell this frame,you would regret it later on. Just don't unload those pedals,the Shimano 7401 pedals were the best!

·
Registered
712 Posts
i can vouch for those pedals...

i had a pair in the 90's, regreased 'em a couple times, the bearings on each spindle featured needle and ball bearings, with adjustable preload on the out board thrust bearing.
unparalleled to this day. they finally wore at the cleat contact points untill they had slop, so i sold 'em, probably still in use somewhere.

SPINDAWG said:
I would upgrade the components sensibly and then splurge on a good wheelset.You'd be suprised how much of a difference a good light and laterally stiff set of wheels would make.I'm afraid,if you were to sell this frame,you would regret it later on. Just don't unload those pedals,the Shimano 7401 pedals were the best!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts