Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride an Eddy Merckx Titanium (made by Litespeed) 7.20kg with DA7800 groupset, Soul S2.0 wheelset (1290g) and Time Xpresso 8 pedals, and am thinking of getting a 2016 Litespeed T1SL to reduce the weight further for KOM events.

I weight 60kg, 1.70m height, and understand that the Litespeed T1SL Small size frame weighs about 1034g. Heard from the shop that one of their customer build up a medium size Litespeed T1SL with 3T Ltd fork, DA9100 Di2 groupset and Fulcrum carbon wheelset (not sure which model), and the bike comes in at 7000g with pedals.

They offer me a very good price of $3K for the frame, but I noticed the finishing of the joints are not as good as my Eddy Merckx Titanium.

Question is: is spending $3K on the Litespeed T1SL and saving 200g in the process worth it over my Eddy Merckx Titanium? Not sure how much performance gain the Litespeed T1SL will have over my Eddy Merckx Titanium. Any advise would be useful. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I currently ride an Eddy Merckx Titanium (made by Litespeed) 7.20kg with DA7800 groupset, Soul S2.0 wheelset (1290g) and Time Xpresso 8 pedals, and am thinking of getting a 2016 Litespeed T1SL to reduce the weight further for KOM events.

I weight 60kg, 1.70m height, and understand that the Litespeed T1SL Small size frame weighs about 1034g. Heard from the shop that one of their customer build up a medium size Litespeed T1SL with 3T Ltd fork, DA9100 Di2 groupset and Fulcrum carbon wheelset (not sure which model), and the bike comes in at 7000g with pedals.

They offer me a very good price of $3K for the frame, but I noticed the finishing of the joints are not as good as my Eddy Merckx Titanium.

Question is: is spending $3K on the Litespeed T1SL and saving 200g in the process worth it over my Eddy Merckx Titanium? Not sure how much performance gain the Litespeed T1SL will have over my Eddy Merckx Titanium. Any advise would be useful. Thank you.
Go to Analytic Cycling, Interactive methods for estimating cycling performance. and see if the projected saving is worth it for you.
Of course that assumes you will not change position at all on the bike etc.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
It would be much cheaper and probably more satisfying to take a dump before every ride.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
If you decide a few grams matter to you, do the weight weenie thing right and get a carbon frame.

If you make the correct decision and decide a few grams doesn't matter....that speaks for itself.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Agree with Jay, if you want to drop a lot of weight in the frameset buy carbon. No point wasting $3K on just 200 grams.
How much behind the winners are you in your events?

Maybe you could get a power meter to get optimum consistent output in competition and better training? Presuming you don't have one already.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you decide a few grams matter to you, do the weight weenie thing right and get a carbon frame.

If you make the correct decision and decide a few grams doesn't matter....that speaks for itself.
+1. If you are going full weight weenie then the only thing that makes sense is a carbon frame where you can get a frame + fork under 1000 grams. You would get much better (although still not worth it IMO) bang for your buck by replacing your 7800 with sram red.

Playing with the analytic cycling calculator, if you were to get a legit weight weenie bike (~5 kg) and assuming 4 w/kg and a 10k, 7% hill, you save 53 seconds, which could be a significant amount in a race. Your frame change, on the other hand, would only save you 5 seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts